Will the real Galla Placidia Please Stand Up?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ycon, Sep 15, 2018.

1. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

A few months ago I purchased a fake coin of Galla Placidia from Emporium Hamburg. They refunded my money (but only barely-- they wouldn't even refund shipping costs.) I learned that they regularly sell fake late roman bronzes (which are pressed, I believe, on real flans), and I would recommend they be strenuously avoided. I'm not sure why they're not on forum's NFSL since I think they've been nominated. Maybe @Valentinian will add them to his.

Anyway, the reason for my post is that I've now managed to get myself a real (I hope :nailbiting:) Galla Placidia from the very reputable firm Artemide. Won just now:

image.jpg
    Galla Placidia, mother of Valentinian III (died 450 AD).AE 12.5 mm. Rome mint.Obv. [DN GALLA PLACIDIA PF AVG]. Pearl-diademed and draped bust right.Rev. SALVS REIPVBLICE. Cross; in right field, P; in exergue [RM].RIC 2112 (R4).AE.g. 1.08mm. 12.50RRRR.Very rare. Dark green patina with lighter highlights.F/VF.

(Seller's photos and description)

Post you 5th centuries, Roman Ladies, and Galla Placidias. (And if you think I've made another mistake, please let me know)

Bing, TIF, Severus Alexander and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

A good number of fake Odoacers from them listed on acsearch as well, pretty frustrating. Glad I found a real one from a reputable source at an agreeable price.

ominus1, Justin Lee and ycon like this.
  4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Congratulations on the EXTREMELY rare and hard to find acquisition! I am a HUGE fan of the ladies of Rome...though don't have any 5th century to show.
    Being newer to purchasing from auctions I appreciate the heads up about forum Hamburg. I usually just trust that biddr and sixbid have only reputable sellers. Are there any other auction houses that I should be leary of??

ycon, Hellbent and ominus1 like this.
  5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

That is a very crudely struck coin! Is that how they normally look?

How rare are these?

Can anyone show a more well struck specimen?

6. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

to the best of my knowledge:

1) Quite Crude.
    2) Very.
    3) Here is an example from CNG. Note that better examples often go for well over $1000 https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=138456

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Cool, thanks!

In that case, major congrats on your very rare purchase!

ycon likes this.
  8. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

Thanks!

If you don't know much about Galla Placidia check her out. She was the wife, daughter, and mother of Emperors, as well as ruling herself as Regent for 14 years between 423-437-- all around one of the most fascinating women of antiquity and figures of the late Roman Empire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galla_Placidia

Severus Alexander likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted