Will the real 1 oz Silver Krugerrand please stand up?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by iPen, Dec 16, 2015.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I've been researching a bit on the 1 oz silver Krugerrand commemorative coins, and I'm finding a couple of versions. Did South Africa issue different types? I know there are mini versions but I'm specifically addressing the 1 oz Krugerrand coins.

Here are three versions I found below (images from the 'net). Are they all the official issue Krugerrand coins, or is it just the first one that begins with "ONE TROY OZ" on the reverse?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure none are 'official' issues of South Africa. I believe they're privately issued silver medallions.

4. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

That would be a very important point, esp. since I only collect coins that are officially issued by a given government! I guess I'll ignore these then.

5. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

All, except for *maybe* the third one look fake, still not sure about the third one even.

6. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

The fact that they say "krugerrand commemorative" tells you everything you need to know. Official issues simply state the denomination.

7. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Ok, my third and final one (for now) arrived today.

Here are my real, au naturel ones from the SA Mint:

Sterling ingot from 40th Anniversary set - this one looked too good to pass up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1967 Proof 1 Rand, my pics don't this one justice - the obverse looks much shinier in-person.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1949 5 Shillings - w/ original (cartwheel) luster, maybe AU Details at best due to reverse scratches, rim-a-ding-dings, and bag marks galore; may need to upgrade this one...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  8. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

I have come to a final conclusion about coins: Buy coins from the mint with Certificate, slabbed or from a very reputable seller/auction house. There are far too many good quality fakes out there. These are not!!!

FullSizeRender-5.jpg

9. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Yeah that's probably safest. The first two are straight from sets.

The third one is authentic but yesterday I purchased a replacement upgrade for it with the same reverse design but different year.

Draft saved Draft deleted