Will someone please help identify this cob?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Insider, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Numismat, admonishes: "Except that you're not asking for a subjective opinion on a grade, you're asking for an identification which is a matter of fact and not opinion****."

OMG! :rolleyes: Please look this word up and let all of us learn from you: ATTRIBUTION.

One thing I've learned is that many folks who give opinions on a coin, even those who claim to be professional numismatists, don't know the meaning of numismatic terms, cannot grade, cannot authenticate, and CANNOT ACCURATELY ATTRIBUTE a piece!

There is no one around to give me any clues to an attribution. Unfortunately, the piece in question has me stumped and I reached out hoping to find a true "expert" on these.

BTW, if any true "expert" of these coins renders an opinion, until I confirm it for myself, I'll consider it to be only as good as anything written in this thread. NISM? :muted:

**** In cases where the person giving the opinion knows what he is doing.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Insider ... I think that you need to grow some thicker skin and, if you are alluding to the off-chance that I don't know how to attribute coins, then you'd better open your eyes and unclog your ears. I have collected coins for over 50 years. I have authored and co-authored articles in professional coin publications. I have vetted and been consulted on the 4 major books/works that have become the "bibles" for our discipline. In my chosen collecting area, I'm regarded as one of the top 5 experts in my field. I have a reference library that most folks would kill for. If you didn't want people's help, then you never should have asked. I'm insulted by this last post of yours(above this one). If you knew how to research a subject, then you wouldn't have learned the things that I put in my posts. You can pontificate all you want about what you knew going in, but all I saw was photography that cropped off the one piece of the puzzle that was needed and a question that needed answers. You never even told us what the weight was or approx size. It's the last assistance that you can expect from me.

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:hilarious::hilarious::rolleyes:

I think you should read my post that was not addressed to you again.

As I wrote above, YOU WERE A BIG HELP! Unfortunately, some interloper decided to claim INCORRECTLY that I gave you a snub. Then, he apparently didn't understand what it means to attribute a coin and the person giving an opinion is to be - shall we say - "evaluated."

Unless you are @Numismat my answer to him had nothing to do with you at all. That is probably why I did not bother to read what you posted past the THIRD LINE! :D And I will not. :facepalm:

PS Thanks again for your earlier posts. :kiss:

5. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

@Insider I didn't say you snubbed Bill. I said posing a question without revealing what you already know and then telling people you already knew what they spent time looking up comes off as a snub, in general. Anyhow, best of luck finding the info you are looking for regarding your coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted