Will photographs of graded coins defeat counterfeiters?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Gam3rBlake, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Well all of my coins match the TPG photo almost exactly. So yours just might be an exception.

We all have a lot to learn before talking about this subject with any authority.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

It's great if NGC & PCGS take pictures but, keep in mind most people that fall for these counterfeits won't spend the time trying to look up pictures. I think most of the people that buy these are impulse buyers or new to the hobby. Seasoned collectors should know better than to fall for this scam. My approach to buying rare coins is to only buy from well known dealers or auction houses. Then the mid range coins from a known LCS or at shows where the dealers are well known. However, it's possible a counterfeit coin could get by a well known dealer. I don't think that any truly rare coin would get past a major dealer or serious collector if counterfeit. However, generic coins could easily pass because most people don't look that close at them.

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Here's something else you should learn Blake. When the TPGs take a picture of a coin, they deliberately and intentionally take the picture from angles and with the correct lighting to show the most flattering aspects of the coin - AND - hide as many defects as possible !

Yes, this is what I and others are trying to get you to realize and understand. You can take a picture of coin that shows contacts marks, hairlines, scratches, all kinds of defects in the picture. And then just by changing the angles and or the lighting just the tiniest little bit you can take another picture of the exact same coin and you won't be able to see some or all of those hairlines and other defects in that picture ! The defects will simply not be visible !

That is the point ! That is why pictures are worthless can cannot be used to positively identify a coin !

Now you may or may not believe this. Nonetheless that doesn't change the fact that it is 100% true ! It is a scientific fact !

gxseries, GoldFinger1969 and ldhair like this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Every coin has many different looks. The look you capture with the camera is up to you and the skills you have. You can see the same different looks with the coin in hand with your eyes. Just turn the coin in the light. You can make the color pop or hide it. You can hide or show most anything you wish.
    There was a thread here a while back on this same topic.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

7. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Sometimes you got to eat the humble pie and listen.

If you brush comments off as if there is nothing to contribute to, guess what - people aren't getting paid to read and ignoring posts will be quick and easy. A quick way to burn bridges.

8. Gam3rBlake

Hmm I didn’t know the TPGs took photos to hide marks & defects.

Maybe they should stop doing that and take photos that show as many identifying marks & defects as possible.

There has to be a way to take photos that people can compare.

9. Gam3rBlake

Who are you talking to?

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Well, I'm sorry to tell ya but there isn't. Now if ya had a dozen pictures, all taken with the intention of showing you everything there is to see on a coin - then yeah you could do it. But with 1 picture, it's physically impossible because of the laws of physics.

11. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Interesting thread!

Fly in the ointment though, here is an example of an on-line cert image that is pretty good but won't necessarily "defeat" the counterfeiters, as the coin is counterfeit and the holder genuine:D...

1805-ngc.jpg

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  12. Gam3rBlake

If it’s a genuine NGC holder how did a counterfeit coin get in it?

NGC has a guarantee where if they authenticate a fake coin as genuine they will either reimburse For the fair market value of a legitimate coin of that type or they will replace the fake with a real one of the same type & grade. They get to choose which they want to do.

13. Gam3rBlake

Well here is what I’m talking about.

The first photo is a photo I took.

The second photo is a photo NGC took of the same coin.

As you can see they do match up in every way.

You can see they both have spotting on the head from an old cleaning as well as a vertical scratch up the neck. Although it’s not as visible in my photo it’s still there.

They also have the same toning on the bottom of the neck where it’s darker than the rest and the darkness is the same shape.

They also have the same amount of toning around each star on the obverse edges.
    90EE90B5-4625-4CAD-B8A6-A815A2CBB714.jpeg
    89EF5423-BA91-4E62-83DD-64C005BF75B2.jpeg

14. Derrick Combs

Derrick Combs Well-Known Member

The other problem being ebay buyers will bid on anything. A blurred picture .99 start. Also, I know some people buy slabbed coins and don't even look up the cert.

15. Derrick Combs

Derrick Combs Well-Known Member

There are some coins that are or were so good they slipped by. I think there are a few like that. From what I hear people collect them for the legit encapsulated fakes that they are.

16. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Blurry photos, especially when most other offerings from that seller are not blurry, should probably be considered a bad omen.

Some people don't need to look up the cert.

Jack D. Young likes this.
  17. Jack D. Young

As @Derrick Combs stated some are so good they pass experts and TPG's. My collection of these are used for education and displays at coin shows (when I could attend them...).
    All 4 top TPG's guarantee authenticity with buy-back opportunities for those who want to send them in under the guarantee; so far I actually own 13 decepetive struck counterfeits in genuine TPG holders.

18. Gam3rBlake

So why don’t you send yours in and have the TPGs pay you the money to buy real ones?

19. Jack D. Young

For the reasons I stated above; there us no time limit on the guarantees.
    I may actually decide to donate them to the ANA in the future for use in their educational and counterfeit seminars and exhibits.
    I continue to collect genuine coins as well...

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  20. Gam3rBlake

Just curious: are they counterfeits of expensive coins?

I mean like if I had a fake PF67 1955 Roosevelt Dime it wouldn’t be nearly as bad as having say a fake AU50 1893 S Morgan Dollar.

The Roosevelt Dime is only like $20 whereas the 1893 S Morgan Dollar is thousands and thousands of dollars.

I probably wouldn’t bother sending in the fake Roosevelt Dime but I would definitely bother to send in a fake 1893 S Morgan Dollar in a genuine TPG holder.

21. Jack D. Young

This is my master list of the coins counterfeited and the prices paid or bought back under the TPG's guarantee:

updated list.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted