Will It CAC?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by toned_morgan, Sep 25, 2018.

1. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

How do I know what type of coin will CAC, specifically for toned Morgan dollars? Basically, what are the general standards to get the shiny green bean on a slab?Would this coin CAC?

Capture d’écran 2018-09-25 à 18.14.32.png Capture d’écran 2018-09-25 à 18.14.45.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

It's a shot in the dark. Usually I only send in what I would consider gold CAC material and he green stickers about 50-60% of it. No golds.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

One never knows until they send it in.

5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Who knows?

Who cares?

Enjoy the coin for what it is - a moderately attractive, accurately graded 63. That is an extremely common and low value coin, and does not need a CAC sticker. It won't help its value, and it won't help it's resale. Absolutely no reason to send that one to CAC.

In general, if you want to know what sort of coin will CAC, it has to meet a few criteria:

- problem free
    - attractive
    - original
    - in the top 2/3 of the grade (that is, a 63.4 or higher)
    - be pleasing to John Albanese, enough that he would buy the coin

Each of these is highly subjective, and can vary based on the day of the week, the position of the moon, the polllen concentration, and which blend of bourbon JA had the night before.

But this particular coin is absolutely not worth sending in to CAC.

ddddd, toned_morgan and imrich like this.
  6. ddddd

ddddd Member

It's a toss-up with that one in my opinion. However, like @physics-fan3.14 , I don't see any need for the sticker on this coin. I've seen plenty of coins like that sent in, but I don't really think it's worth it for coins under a certain value (let's say around $500). The added value of attaining the sticker would likely not cover your total costs ($14.50 sticker + shipping + insurance). If you were sending in 19 coins and needed one more to make it 20, then I'd say go for it. However, by itself (or as part of a few coins), it's not worth it.

ldhair likes this.
  7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I agree that this coin is not worth stickering. Moreover, the predominantly blackish reverse toning would not be viewed in a positive light.

8. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

This one probably won't CAC. Looks accurately graded at 63.

9. fiddlehead

fiddlehead Well-Known Member

I agree that CAC doesn't mean much on lower cost coins - but I send them in sometimes if I'm sending others - while it wouldn't be worth doing for that one coin, collectors only pay the fee for coins that are accepted so there's nothing to lose. Even on a low value coin the sticker makes them easier to sell because they stand out in a crowded market.

C-B-D likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted