Will It CAC? #08

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by geekpryde, Feb 20, 2014.

1. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Thread #08 where I ask the fine members of CoinTalk their opinions on a coin I have already sent to CAC for review. Last one for tonight.

Please let me know what you think, such as:

Will it fail to CAC, and why?
    Will it be a green or gold CAC sticker?
    What (negative) issues does the coin have?
    What positive attributes does the coin have?
    Is the strike good or bad?
    Is the toning pretty or ugly?
    etc

Up for consideration is a 1907 1C Indian Head Cent NGC MS63 Brown in modern NGC holder.

This is from my childhood collection, and one that I submitted to NGC myself. (still feel free to bash it) :)

1C 1907 Obv Slab v3.jpg

1C 1907 Rev Slab v3.jpg

1C 1907 Obv closeup.jpg

1C 1907 Rev closeup.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I think they'll (green) bean it. Nothing to bash here. Heck, that's not what we're supposed to do here on CT.......:)

geekpryde likes this.
  4. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

I think the grade is right on with no green bean

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

geekpryde likes this.
  5. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

I say yes to a green bean. The small spots hold it back from a 64BN. Looks like it has plenty of luster and a little bit of muted purple color.

I dont know if this coin would be worth sending to CAC though. It might add about $10 to the coin, which is what it would cost to send it in for consideration.

geekpryde likes this.
  6. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Just so you know...the CAC green bean does not mean the coin is strong for the grade. Most knowledgeable collectors understand that within a grade...there is a wide spectrum of quality. CAC has attempted to break this spectrum into three groups within a grade. Those that are very premium for the grade (so at the very high end), those that are solid for the grade, and those that are weak for the grade. The extremely premium coins get the gold bean, the "solid" get the green bean and the average to lower end get nothing. So, the real question the OP is asking is...is this a solid MS63BN. If so, then it should get a green bean.

Personally, I'm not an expert with IHCs and the toning here makes it hard to grade in photos. I don't see any wear and the fields look pretty clean. I personally don't care for the mottled look of the toning...but I think he coin is solid for the grade and it wouldn't surprise me if it got the sticker.

geekpryde likes this.
  7. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. My understanding was a green bean meant it was strong for the grade and gold bean means it was undergraded. I look at the IHC and think it is graded fairly with nothing extra to add to it, BUT my experience grading IHC is very limited too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

8. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

This is a very common misconception...one that even I believed for quite sometime. People pay significant premiums for coins with a green bean because of it. A gold bean can mean the coin is undergraded...but it can also mean that the coin is graded correctly, just on the very nice end of the grade spectrum. It just depends on the coin.

CAC has actually very cleverly found a niche in the industry. They understood that many coin buyers don't actually grade slabbed coins themselves. Since it's well known that not all graded coins with the same grade are the same...they created a system to show premium and solid coins within a grade. This makes it easier for someone who doesn't know how or doesn't want to grade a slabbed coin to find quality pieces. IMHO, collector's would be better off just learning their chosen hobby...but most people just don't want to I guess.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Yes on the bean.

geekpryde likes this.
  10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

You're right about the 3 different groups within a grade . But the high for the grade and the solid for the grade will both receive the green bean , the low for the grade won't . The gold bean is saved for coins that CAC feels are undergraded and should be the next grade higher . I don't know IHC s well enough to say whether it will bean
    or not .

geekpryde likes this.
  11. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

I'll say no on this one. Very weak luster and strike looks so so.

geekpryde and rzage like this.
  12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I'm gonna say maybe my opinion if it was up to me no is a clean fielded coin that's pretty much problem free but is very weakly struck blame this one on the mint

geekpryde likes this.
  13. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

I've only owned a few of these at this grade or just above. From my limited experience, I'm going to say the coin is accurately graded, and a green bean is warranted.

geekpryde likes this.
  14. geekpryde

You are correct!

I know this is a common date, but I am so happy that a coin from my childhood that I sent to NGC and then sent to CAC, got green stickered! It will fit in nicely with my CAC Type set.

1C-1907-Rev-closeup-cac.jpg

1C-1907-Obv-closeup-cac.jpg

Jwt708 and Mainebill like this.
  15. geekpryde

Updated Pics, I have them back in my hands!

1907 1C Obv Slab MS 63 NGC BROWN 2554381-002 CAC.jpg

1907 1C Rev Slab MS 63 NGC BROWN 2554381-002 CAC.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted