Will Ebay allow the sale of Cuban coins again?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by willieboyd2, Dec 17, 2014.

1. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Supposedly the US is finally going to drop the economic sanctions against Cuba.

Cuba made some nice coins, here is one:

[​IMG]
    Cuba Peso 1953 Jose Marti

:)

Marsyas Mike and chrsmat71 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

You could and always can sell Cuban coins on eBay, just don't use the word "Cuba" in your title or description. Even if someone reports you they won't do anything.

Hiddendragon likes this.
  4. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Quite a number of people have reported problems in listing Cuban items on Ebay.

:)

5. Numismat

From what I see people looking for them have figured out how to find them without the keyword "Cuba". I still see them selling for the same prices as they were before eBay made the policy change.

If your point of contention above is completely literal, then it's more poetically political than practical :)

Edit: Well you had to go and change your post, now my comment is out of place lol

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

do NOT use Cuba in the description. most use Caribbean Islands or just use the denomination peso. :cat:

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

There are more important things than coins we should be able to obtain from Cuba.

Numismat likes this.
  8. Numismat

I've even seen people go so far as to use "Q-ba"

spirityoda likes this.
  9. Numismat

Cigar man? ;)

treylxapi47 likes this.
  10. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

You can't sell cuban coins on ebay? i have one that i got in change as a quarter once.

11. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Any removal of sanctions will have to go through by legislation. This will take some time as the politicians will try to fill their own particular pork barrels in the process.

The executive branch can propose, but it is up to Congress and the Senate to dispose. A solid rump of anti Obama diehards would vote against eternal life if it was Obama who suggested it. There may well be enough anti communists and anti cigar people to keep this bill in the floor for months if not years.

After that, it is probable that ebay would take years if ever to change the rules.

krispy likes this.
  12. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

When I sell coins from Cuba on eBay I list them in the description box as CUB@ or C.U.B.A.
    And for Iran = IR@N or EYE-RAN

spirityoda likes this.
  13. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

"anti cigar people"?

14. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

Yes the "anti cigar" lobby is bad for us coin collectors. If they ban cigars, we will no longer be able to store our coins in cigar boxes.

15. ocjoe949

ocjoe949 Active Member

Their lovely women, their rum, their cigars and a few baseball players. :p

Numismat likes this.
  16. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

PayPal will suspend your account if the words "Cuba" show up in a transaction, and they will reverse any funds associated with said transaction. They won't speak to you about it, they'll refuse to answer the phone, they'll blow you off.

However, I sold an Iranian coin set on eBay without any hassles, even though they're all on the same list.

Because life makes sense all the time.

17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Yep, eBay and PayPal are required to comply with US legislation even if their customers are not in the US. Fortunately there are plenty of alternatives for non-US sellers and buyers ...

Christian

18. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

The problem is that it's not US legislation. eBay and PayPal have taken it upon themselves to enforce more strictly than the law requires - but seemingly JUST in the case of Cuba. (Why allow the sale of Iranian coins? They're on the same list as Cuba, Syria, North Korea, etc.)

19. Numismat

Have you tried "Persia"? :)

20. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

Yeah, but only for coins from the 19th century and before.

21. Numismat

Smart :)

Draft saved Draft deleted