Will Acetone Help?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Histman, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

Thanks! I've never had occasion to clean a coin and kept hearing about acetone. Wasn't sure what it would clean and not clean.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Acetone's an organic solvent, and will only remove organic deposits from a coin. It's chemically incapable of affecting silver reaction-based toning; simply can't do it. The problem, sometimes, is determining which is which, complicated by the fact that there's crud which could accrue onto a coin which isn't organic.

As if that weren't enough, one then has to decide whether the successfully-treated coin would be an improvement, or not; irregular patches of removed coverage will then become irregular patches of cleaned-looking areas. For instance, if we propose that the stripes on your Buff are something which acetone could remove completely, the result would be a coin where those areas had become brighter than the surrounding nickel, which has acquired some patina that the acetone wouldn't touch.

Still striped, just less realistically now. :)

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's a fairly short list. PVC residue, tape residue, fresh (and only fresh ones) fingerpints, fingernail polish, and some types of paint. That's really about it.

Now yes, there could be other things on a coin that a rinse in acetone might wash them off, but then so would a rinse in distilled water. My point here being that a rinse in any liquid would wash them off. Not that you should use just any liquid.

What people need to learn and understand is that different types of solvents work better on different types of things. There's basically 4 liquids that are safe to use on coins, assuming they are used properly. They are:
    1 - distilled water
    2 - acetone
    3 - xylene
    4 - con dip

And each one of them removes different things from coins better than the other 3.

Other than those, you shouldn't even try to use it.

5. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

As people know from past posts, I'm an advocate for acetone to remove PVC residue, tape, and other residue. as it is inactive (no acid or base in it) with metal, but in this case I think the nickel has character and should be left alone.

Paddy54 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  6. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

So says the self elected know it all of coins.

CoinCorgi and Paddy54 like this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

We haven't seen the reverse, I am more in the $10 arena.

8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

@britannia40 Thank you for recognizing my :angelic: contribution to CT. It makes it all worthwhile. :muted:

britannia40, posted: "So says the self elected know it all of coins."

In response to this advice to collectors of U.S. coins and my comment about many ancient collectors: NEVER scrub your coins with wire brushes. Leave that :jawdrop::facepalm: to the ancient collectors. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

:oops: It looks like I struck a nerve with this coin scrubber. :jawdrop: BTW, do you consider @SuperDave to be a self-elected, know-it-all of coins? What about Doug? Anyone else here on this thread besides me that makes you feel uncomfortable or inadequate? ;)

9. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

Here is the reverse

upload_2017-8-17_21-44-14.jpeg

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  10. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

You and i have quite the different term of contribution. Trying being human first then work at contribution after...

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

@britannia40
    Well you know "he" aka "insider" has slipped a notch since Ed Woods has been on posting here on CT!
    So now he's the #2 most disrespected poster here on CT.
    You know when you're #2 you got to try harder ,or :cow: even more to get the recognition of chief resident troll. :troll:
    Poll error of margin is <.01% .

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  12. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

I'm with everyone else on this, leave it alone. It is a very nice looking '16 with the "Woody" look. Nothing wrong with it at all.

13. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Now as for a 'woody', Been a long time since I got one......................purchased one, bought one, found one to buy. Is that stretching the limits of the post ?

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Does the improper alloy mix prevent it from straight grading?

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No.

Michael K likes this.
  16. Insider

Michael K, posted: "Does the improper alloy mix prevent it from straight grading?"

No, the corrosion does. :angelic:

17. Insider

@Paddy54
    @britannia40

I'm not on CT much anymore :yawn:, I've surrendered to Ed. :D Now, I'm playing with the "big boys" :cigar: on Collectors Universe. Check me out! I've :troll: set the all-time-record over there :oops: :jawdrop: that will never be eclipsed: In a little over one year, I racked up 1.7K "dislikes!" :shame: I'll miss you two and all the color and emoji's here.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: :p

Tyler Graton likes this.
  18. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Insider said....I'm not on CT much any more...... well we truly haven't missed you :yawn:
    I've surrendered to Ed, and now playing with the "Big Boys" Just know that's ok...many here will be glad to hear that you have come out of the closet!
    "Not that there's anything wrong with that!"

"I've set all time ever records" "racking up over 1.7 K dislikes"
    Oh I'm sure with little effort you'll be the "iron man" of dislikes.....so you need to focus all your energy over there at Collectors Universe. :troll:
    And just forget us here...somehow we will manage .....bon voyage :D

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  19. Insider

:rolleyes::facepalm: I did not write goodbye for ever. What I actually wrote: "I'm not on CT much anymore." I love CT and everyone here - especially those members I follow. :kiss::kiss:

green18 likes this.
  20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Given time, you may be. There was a time that 'blast white' was the only thing tolerable in my collection, and I would freak out at a coin beginning to 'turn' in an album, flip, or 2x2. Oxidation is an eventuality and I have leaned to accept it........such is old age, as I have lately been oxidizing much, rather of late. :)

21. Insider

You don't know oxidation until you reach my age. I hate to think how much @GDJMSP has oxidized. He should be mostly old powder by now! ;)

green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted