Will Acetone Help this Three cent Piece?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hoky77, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

I got this coin cheap, apparently no one wanted to deal with the mess on the rev. so I got it with a single $16 bid. I have used acetone on copper with good results but I have never needed to clean up any nickel. Any info. that could help is appreciated. 1876-III.jpg 1876-III-rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Worth a try, and I don't see any harm in doing so........

Hoky77 likes this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I would soak it 24 hours then see how it looks Verdi care may also help afterwards.
    Since you out lay isn't much, to me the end results can either improve or make it worse .....since you don't know what the stain is....I believe the soak, and Verdi care would be the safest route. Would you say the substance is on the surface or coming out from the surface? As if it is the latter I personally don't think anything you do will not make a difference.
    As far sending it in for conservation not worth it.... imho!

Nice strike otherwise...and lower mintage.... i also collect these little gems :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Hoky77 and green18 like this.
  5. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Acetone wouldn't hurt, but you'd get better results from verdicare.

Hoky77 likes this.
  6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I suspect neither one will do the job you are hoping for. If you don't have the chemicals mentioned above already , the cost of attempting might be higher than the value of the damaged coin. I would guess it to be a mix of nickel sulfate and nickel oxide, but just a guess from the color on my display. Jim

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Yeah I hate finding a coin like this......I recall a 1876 Seated quarter the obv.. was killer.....then you looked at the rev.....OMG someone some how cut heavy lines across the surface.
    The obv high Mint state.....the rev......the work of a butcher!
    You know this topic alone is a thread starter just think about how many coins you have looked at in the years you been collecting that were two faced one beautiful the other :yack: !

Paul M. and Hoky77 like this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Possible 'terminal' state regarding the toning/gunk, but if it is 'gunk' it will disappear........

Hoky77 likes this.
  9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Depends on what that goo is.

Hoky77 likes this.
  10. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

The coin’s surface looks corroded. You cannot fix corrosion. It is permanent.

However, that’s just the picture. Try acetone and Verdicare if you have it - best case it comes off, worst case the coin’s surface is permanently damaged and it was like that before you bought it.

1876 isn’t the easiest 3CN date though. I once saw a nice one at a show for $25 and regret not picking it up.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Hoky77 likes this.
  11. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

Yep, some coins look better in a Whitman and others in a Dansco;)

Paddy54 and Omegaraptor like this.
  12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I'd try some acetone but I don't have high hopes for the coin.

Hoky77 and Omegaraptor like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted