Will 2020 coins become "key dates"?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Mar 27, 2020.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The mint announced that they are changing release dates for some products: https://coinweek.com/us-mint-news/i...ct-release-dates-from-the-united-states-mint/

In the early days of the mint, the yellow fever epidemic forced the mint to close.

I realize that this is speculation, but could the current pandemic force the mint to reduce production, reduce the number of products they issue, or reduce the overall mintage? Will a lower demand caused by the economic troubles cause less people to buy extraneous issues? Will 2020 coins become "key dates?"

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

:cigar:.. 2020 as key dates? Interesting concept! :wideyed:

spirityoda likes this.
  4. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Not the coins, but the extraneous bullion crap they put out very well could be.

micbraun, YoloBagels and Inspector43 like this.
  5. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

I can certainly see it happening. Anything that has been enacted by Congress has to move forward, correct? So even a limited amount of a certain design would have to be coined, no?

6. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

We'll see in the future. Hindsight is 2020. See what I did? :headphone:

TypeCoin971793, ldhair and alurid like this.
  7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Maybe nickels and dimes and quarters. The zinc Lincolns will eventually self destruct like all the others will.

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Hard to say at this point. Banks are still servicing customers and business even though it's been tamped down to some degree. Some merchants are already not accepting cash and instead only credit and debit cards. If this situation drags out a lot longer you may be on to something.

9. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I usually buy the Silver proof set but your question makes me think it may be worthwhile to buy the Uncirculated set as well.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Oh, I'm sure the Mint will spread the load among all of the Mint facilities so that Mike "The Mouth", with the Freedom of Information Act in hand, will be able to sell coins that were struck by Denver for those supposed to be made in West Point, those that were struck by West Point that were supposed to be made in Philly, etc., etc. ~ Chris

Jmis likes this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This will be a year to remember. History in the making.

spirityoda likes this.
  12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I think I have seen one posted here as of yet and it was a Philly, I have yet to see one in the wild here in Denver metro.

13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Interesting question. I can remember being all pumped up to see the year 2020 on the cent. It still has some fascination to me. You might be on to something there.

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I don't think so. Banks are basically closed as are small businesses. Coins just aren't needed at this time. Mintage numbers may be lower but not that low, low enough to make them rare or key dates that is.

As for collectors, sales may be off or not but if they are down they will be the only 2020 coins worth a premium.

It's not quite the end of March so let us just relax and see what happens in the next few months.

davdo likes this.
  15. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Not sure about the rest but the 2020-W Quarters might be considered key dates. Actually to my mind, they already are. Whether that's reality or not, the future will tell. Like the 2019-W's only 2M of each. Does the warrant a key date? ...I don't know.

spirityoda likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted