Wife tried...box of $25 of pennies!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mike185, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

I’ll So I can home today!!?? My was wife was in ahappy mood and at the bank.......wonder why!? She was exited to have got a $25 box of Lin cents. I was excited when i seen it... and the I looked at the top of the box and seen ALL the new shiny pennies.!!! 2018d Lincoln cents

So my question..

Do I open all those rolls looking for something “errors” (I’m not sure of any of them). Or

Just tell her in the morning that I want to look for and take them to be bank to exchange for “non new coins)?

Should I open them or not? 8305C7CA-214F-461E-B4A0-65A5971F460A.jpeg 9BA68C2B-8CC8-4585-83AA-F56323FA9810.jpeg FDDD99AE-4A28-4358-A7AC-3CF6B427C1DF.jpeg 16E1765F-6911-47D4-8A85-026297F619D9.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Honestly, if she was as excited as you said, I'd probably open a few rolls with her. Offer a bottle of wine while you hang out and bond over the coins she got you. She's trying, and that means more than the actual coins.

You (probably) won't find any errors, and you won't find any high grade coins. If you have a loupe, you could look for doubled dies, but honestly you'll have more fun just talking and looking at coins.

As the evening progresses, explain to her why you like looking through rolls. Teach her what you are looking for, and explain why it's interesting to you. If you need better light, move to the living room on the rug in front of the fireplace. Express your gratitude for her gift.

Be gracious, of course. But communication is key - and openly expressing your desires is the best way to help your partner give you what you really want and need.

Morpheus, Rufio and tibor like this.
  4. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

I don't bother with one cent rolls under 130 grams myself anymore.
    A full roll of Zincolns is about 125 grams.
    I'd take time to weigh all the rolls just in case one might have some extra weight.
    So, have a fun night looking for something new and interesting.
    Or, dump the light rolls and keep the box.

Kasia likes this.
  5. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

Slightly confused on this. An entire box of 2018 D cents to me would mean that they are uncirculated and came straight from a mint bag and rolled by X name on wrapper. Why wouldn't there be some high grades in there? What am I missing?

6. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Huh? Not to be rude, but I don't understand what you said there. I can imagine you came back home and your wife had a box of pennies, but then you say she was at the bank... Anyways, as the others said, spend time with her, because it's the thought that counts.

carly likes this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

When they get rolled (Loomis) the machines put scratches on most of them,
    even though they all look like MS.
    I wouldn't open them at all. Waste of time.

8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yeah, they are all UNC. But the *vast* majority will grade 65 or lower. These are essentially worth no premium. A 66 isn't worth certifying. You have to get a 67 or higher to make it even worth considering.

Boxes of rolls have been handled more than bags straight from the mint. If you've ever opened a roll, you know that the grades rarely reach as high as 66. A 67 is quite rare. Even in a bag, 67's aren't terribly common.

I would absolutely not expect to find any coins worth submitting in a box of rolled zincolns.

9. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

I think it was a way for your wife to let you know that she accepts your coin roll hunting, and would like to become part of it at times to spend more time together. My partner very seldom looks at what I have which is alright as she has her own hobbies. I think your a pretty lucky fellow @ Mike 185 to have your partner buying rolls . She is looking for some guidance from the collector , YOU , as she sees the fun in what your doing. Congrats !! Dillan

10. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

I am lucky to have her!! I have a lot more expensive hobbies than coins!! Restore a 64 c10 short fleet side!! Been 5 years in the building.

She is also a coin looker! Last coin show she bought more than me. 1 foreign Two John pope and a strange angel (size of a quarter)

So I tolder her that the box was mint coin and offered her the option...... so I’m opening 10 rolls and take the rest of the rolls and what I have looked through to cash in maybe a box of half’s !! I have 22 rolls of cent circulated,13 nickels circulated and 7 dimes circulated and 4 quarters rolls to go through also

She said she felt like she was robbing the bank walking out with the box of cents!! Heehee. I laughed and asked if she paid for them ??

And there are all scared at the ends from loomis!!

11. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

Too bad about the scarring , maybe a person could have found a top grade coin. Sounds like you have a wonderful partner. Hang on to her tight, she sounds like she is a truly wonderful wife . It is especially great when you can spend time together at hobbies that interests you both . Dillan

tibor likes this.
  12. Rufio

Rufio New Member

Best advice imo

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Maybe so, but getting ahold of a ballistic bag isn't that easy, and if you do how do you handle it and get the coins out of it? I suppose you could just cut the bag open.

14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Are... are we still talking about coins?

Ag76 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted