Widow's Mites...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Tyler Miller, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Tyler Miller

Tyler Miller New Member

Hi, I'm new to ancient coin collecting. I just bought these Widow's Mites from reputable sources and I was wondering if they are authentic and what grade these might be? They seem quite a bit better than a lot featured on ebay. Also should I go for cleaning them? Forgive my lack of knowledge, these purchases are my first step into the coin world. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

They just look genuine to me..

philologus_1 and Paul M. like this.
  4. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t be able to distinguish a genuine Prutah from a fake one. Certainly @Deacon Ray could give you his opinion on this subject. Here are some copies from Forum Fake Coin Reports:

47A9A21B-C7BE-4F31-906C-0FAF1AAEC18D.jpeg

5. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

They are genuine, VF in my humble opinion but with surface issues.

Alegandron, ominus1 and Paul M. like this.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Looks to me that the "sand" was applied to improve appearance.

7. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Reply to @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

I think I'll have to go along with FORVM's opinion on these being reproductions. The specimens in your/FORVM's photo appear to be too thick and smooth edged. They're interesting though.

Here are some that I purchased through the L. Alexander Wolfe Company in Jerusalem. See how thin and irregularly shaped they look by comparison.

MITES3.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  8. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

The coins in the Forum fake reports are not matches to the op coins

Jay GT4 and Deacon Ray like this.
  9. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Welcome @Tyler Miller . I like this coin type because they have one of the best stories to go with an ancient coin. It is interesting that we think the Star & Anchor Prutah of Alexander Jannaeus, 108 - 76 BC, is the coin most likely mentioned by Jesus in 30 AD. The coin circulated for a long time in Judea and could have been one of the coins.
    I have purchased many and given away most.
    4.24.16 a 003.JPG fods mite s2.JPG

Deacon Ray, Mernskeeter and Paul M. like this.
  10. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

idk..they look ok to me...welcome to ancients @Tyler Miller ..these will be most likely lll mutarum coins cause they're like Lays potato chips...can't eat just one :)...this is the 1st coin i ever bought, so you're doing good! :D 1st. bought coin 001.JPG

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

ju0090bb1599.jpg ju0100bb2532.jpg There are mllions of these coins occurring in thousands of shapes and sizes. Thick, thin, round, square --- each will be found in genuine coins ranging from decent looking to hardly recognizable. The three shown here do look like they have detail under the dirt but the rough surfaces don't look like they will be as much improved as just changed by cleaning. Coin cleaning is a separate hobby from collecting. I am not a good cleaner. The important first step is telling which coins will respond to which cleaning techniques and which will be best left as they are. Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have a bunch of those $5, but I do not have that one... cool, Greg!

——————————

Welcome to the Ancients Forum of CT @Tyler Miller ! I hope you find this a fun and relaxing place!

My Prutahs for comparison. I am by no means an expert in this area (or any other coin area... just fun collecting ancients!)

upload_2019-4-3_22-52-45.jpeg
    JudaeaPontius Pilate 14-37 CE - Prutah TIBEPIOY KAICAPOC Lituus Hendin 1342

upload_2019-4-3_22-53-51.png
    Judaea Pontius Pilate - Prutah Julia - IOYLIA KAICAPOC Julia Caesar - LIVIA wife of Augustus Hendin 1341

upload_2019-4-3_22-58-32.jpeg
    Judaea Pontius Pilate 26-36 CE - Prutah TIBEPIOY KAICAPOC Lituus Hendin 1342

upload_2019-4-3_22-59-38.jpeg
    JudaeaAlexander Janneaeus 103-76 BC AE Prutah Wheel Widows Mite Hendin 1350

upload_2019-4-3_22-51-50.png
    Judaea Claudius w-Britannicus CE 41-54 Æ Prutah 17mm 2.8g Antonius Felix-procurator Dated RY 14 54 CE 2-crossed shields spears - Palm tree BPIT K AI L IΔ date Hendin 1348

Attached Files:

13. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

They don't resemble the fabric of the Forum fakes. They look genuine to me. Who did you buy them from?

14. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

wow!..really??..this is the only one i have Brian, but it's the one that started it all :)

Alegandron likes this.
  15. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Deacon Ray, are you referring to the coins in the photo that Ocatarinetabellatchitchix posted? Those coins look very different from the ones that Tyler Miller posted. The series of parallel abrasion lines in the bottom half of the top OP coin suggests to me that it is genuine. Can't see why anyone would bother adding a detail like that to a cast copy.

As an long-time ancient coin cleaner, I most likely would not clean the OP coins. I doubt that removing the sand would improve their appearance. In fact, you would probably lose a lot of detail in the process. I recommend that you enjoy them as they are.

16. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Widow’s Mites are my fave ancient coins!

DB217B88-7932-401C-8086-E9108DBAA8C3.jpeg

Erin

17. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

A couple of mine...

AJ4.jpg normal_AJ3.jpg

18. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Mine:

[​IMG]
    Alexander Jannaeus (Yehonatan), 103-76 BC.
    Judean Æ Prutah, 1.85 g, 13.7 mm.
    Jerusalem mint.
    Obv: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΛΕΧΑΝΔΡΟΥ around anchor.
    Rev: Star of eight rays between which Hebrew legend, "Yehonatan the King," all surrounded by diadem.
    Refs: Meshorer Group K; Sear 6087; Hendin 1150.

19. Deacon Ray

Welcome, Tyler!

Yes, I believe your Judaean coins are authentic. I started with Widow's Mites also. Now I have bags of them. I thought I’d be able to give them to friends and acquaintances and they would be amazed and thrilled. The cartoon below speaks the reality.

EMOJI'S.jpg

Don’t get discouraged! Occasionally you will run into folks who are amazed at being able to hold a coin they believe to be ancient, in their hands. The important thing is to amaze yourself.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  20. Deacon Ray

That looks familiar :woot:

Johndakerftw likes this.
  21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I think this is a common reaction of any coin collector with any non collector.

Deacon Ray likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted