Wide/close AM's on state quarters

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Sheila Ruley, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Oops. I gave the 98 ones away too.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Wow you go girl. I'm impressed. Good job. Gonna save your precious info. 4 11 is short

Sheila Ruley likes this.
  4. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

Well @Cheech9712 talk of trades are not permitted on general forums it's frowned upon. With that said I'd like to help you out but the 99 wide am's I have left are in a better grade and while not worth a bunch of money they do carry a higher premium than the 2000 no matter how much harder it's been for me to find.

5. Cheech9712

Hey thats what i do. When in doubt

Sheila Ruley likes this.
  6. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I haven't checked the AM spacing. And I'm currently unable to post pics. Sorry. But I will check!

7. Cheech9712

Oh. How much higher. Person said he had 5. Was i not being fair giving 2 for 1

8. Cheech9712

Oh that was you with 6. Ok. My bad.

9. Cheech9712

Ok send your email. And I'll send you one

10. Cheech9712

No big deal to me. I aready gave grandbabies 1 for each. I have two extras

11. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

And thats kinda what coin collecting is about. Passing the love of it to those you love. I hope you find a 99 wide am to pass on to your granbabies soon and I wish you the best of luck.

Eric,

Cheech9712 likes this.
  12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It's good to see you. @Sheila Ruley If I had my guess at it they were defining the definition of the die at this time, "early statehood quarters" the die's may have some variety to them, Both the Obverse and Reverse dies took on new designs. Good eye! I think that the true way of determining if this is a variety or not would be to attempt to find an example of each. A CAM and WAM in the same date.
    As far as the different obverses, and separation in different designs, what you have done is help in the identification of said Master Die #xx.

Sheila Ruley likes this.
  13. Sheila Ruley

Sheila Ruley The short blonde girl

Thank you!! I will have to get that done. I have been sooo busy. My daughter just had eye surgery yesterday on both eyes to try to straighten them out from being crossed inward. We constantly go to MUSC. Which is about 2 1/2 hours away. We found out that our 2 1/2 year old son is autistic. And the doctor is now telling me that my eye problems are NOT my eyes. She is sure that it is neurological. So much going on that I don't have much time to work on coins. Can't find if you don't search!! Lol! I try to look in and see what is going on sometimes, but the minute I sit down, one of my kids needs something or wants to be held just because I sat down. These past two weeks, I have spent many hours on the phone with doctors and organizations that work with autistic children. My son has 2 therapists that comes to the house once a week so far. My daughter has one therapist also. She also goes to speech therapy. Aaahhhh!! The appointments NEVER END!! Therapist even on the weekend!!

So, how is everyone else doing?? I hope everyone is doing very well! I miss talking to everyone.

14. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Your a busy Woman! Hang in there we will still be here.
    :)

15. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

16. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

Following is an exert from John Wexler’s website
    “In 1990 and 1991 the Mint began applying the mint mark to the master die for circulation strike coins. After 1994 the mint mark was placed on the master design.”

So in 1999 when the State Quarter program began – the mint mark was part of the master design. Following are two different CAD overlays

1. Pennsylvania Philly Mint Quarter obverse (coral) overlaid onto a Kentucky Philly Mint Quarter (Blue)
    2. Pennsylvania Denver Mint Quarter obverse (coral) overlaid onto a Kentucky Denver Mint Quarter (Blue)

Based on Wexler’s statement and the deviation in the location of the mint mark on both overlays – indicates to me that the State Quarter obverse was redesigned sometime between 1999 and 2001- for both the Philadelphia and Denver Mints. Whether other redesigns of the obverse have occurred or if a transition of designs during a specific State Quarter issue exists – I do not know. Oh and thanks for the compliment on my CAD drawings.

State 5 Philly overlay.JPG State 6 Denver Overlay.JPG

Sheila Ruley and paddyman98 like this.
  17. Sheila Ruley

Hello!!!!!!!:)

paddyman98 likes this.
  18. Sheila Ruley

Thank you! I have read that before, but I didn't associate it with all the state quarters. Thank you for pointing that out. And your welcome!

19. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

If you have a set of Pennsylvania P or D or Kentucky P or D quarters (Same State Design-Same Mint) each coin in the set exhibiting characteristics of different obverse die designs - post full obverse images and I'll overlay them with CAD renderings for you. Camera angle @ 90 degrees - straight on.

Sheila Ruley likes this.
  20. JayF

JayF Active Member

I don't know you but I admire you, mom's job is so underrated! I felt a little exhausted just reading what you've been up to, I can't imagine how YOU are doing it. Keep keeping the spirits up and positive attitude. Your kids are lucky.

Hope you do (make sure you do) find some time for yourself, need to rejuvenate every now and again.

Sheila Ruley likes this.
  21. Sheila Ruley

Thank you! I am with my kids 24/7. My husband works all the time, but he demands to get his time on getting time with the kids. If I take our daughter to the bus stop, he gets mad at me because he says that that's his time with her. He plays with them, no matter how tired he is, when he gets home if they are still awake. I am not allowed to join in on HIS time with them unless the kids want me to! He is such a great husband and father! I get slight breaks that way. I don't mind at all though.

Draft saved Draft deleted