Wide/close AM's on state quarters

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Sheila Ruley, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Now we are getting somewhere fast! Forget the reverses.

I'm not doubting your info.

1. Where did you find out the possible # of obverse hubs? Never mind. Reading your post again, you were writing about the "old" quarters not the "state" right? Therefore, it's like the Lincoln cent where the basic design from a hub was changed several times.

If what I wrote is true, then the OP should be able to find some minor design changes on the obverse of the State quarters after all these years too. Am I correct? I'm not going to look :)

2. Did you work at a TPGS in the past?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sheila Ruley

Sheila Ruley The short blonde girl

See insiders post. He has a question. Page 3

4. Sheila Ruley

I can see the obvious, that the words quarter dollar are printed differently on the state quarters as opposed to the eagle quarters. The spacing between each letter of the state quarters is further apart than the spacing between the eagle quarters.

5. Sheila Ruley

I have also noticed which is quite the obvious, that the designer initials have gotten longer but seem to be in the same place as the older ones. It looks like they just added another designers initials. On the old design the word quarter dollar seems to be spaced together much closer. On the new state quarters the words quarter dollar are more spaced out and smaller. Which is quite obvious to see. Obviously, all the lettering has been changed.

6. Insider

I forgot to add this to my post#41

Make notes of what you see. At the moment, I don't know of anyone except for you who is studying these coins. Seems that is the way it has always been. For example, it took at least a hundred years to document the "naked eye" hub design changes on Shield Nickels. I just learned of them in the 1990's twenty years after becoming a professional numismatist mostly because I never studied the coins or never looked at them closely even. It took someone else to write/photo them. Same with many varieties.

My suggestion right now is to pick a few easily seen characteristics (AM's + ??) and track them. You can add more later. Who knows, you may generate a little more interest here and it will not take another hundred years to "plot" these hubs. You can even write to the US Mint and ask for info or bring the question up in a letter to the editor or article in CW or NN. It is all up to you.:watching:

7. Sheila Ruley

Thank you for the information and suggestions. I will work on this. It will take a while.

8. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

I've never worked for a tpg, but I do have an eye for detail and always seek early die state examples of coins. I began noticing small changes and began to take note of them. A good example is a 1964 quarter obverse vs a 1965 obverse. A new hub was created for the clad coinage along with a new hub for the reverse. There were multiple changes over the years as the design was tweeked and relief was lowered. In the years between 1980 and 85, quality control went out the window, so I'm still sorting that mess out.

Insider likes this.
  9. Insider

I thought you might be Brian Silliman due to your depth of knowledge. Guess I should start looking at my change for some unappreciated transitional stuff. Thanks.

10. Tammy Gatlin

Tammy Gatlin New Member

I have actually noticed the state and state park quarters having a WAM and a CAM, has anyone gotten this verified yet?
    Thankfully,
    Tammy

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No

12. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

I don't know but weren't the State Quarters designed on a computer using CNC to produce the hub? If so - it wouldn't surprise me to find the lettering was adjusted to accommodate for each State's unique reverse design. I think it would only be significant as far as Close "AM" - Wide "AM" goes is if you find this deviation for the same State reverse design.

13. justafarmer

Never mind My Bad - Talking Close "AM" - Wide "AM" had my brain thinking Cents - USA is part of the obverse design for State Quarters.

14. justafarmer

Sorry about bumping this old thread - but it got me to thinking. Anyway I decided to create CAD renderings of a Pennsylvania P and Kentucky D State Quarters and overlay them onto each other. Keep in mind these renderings are by no means perfect but for what it is worth does indicate the differences in the obverse goes beyond Wide "AM" vs Close "AM". Such as the positioning of "LIBERTY" appears to be placed further south on the Kentucky obverse.
    State 1 Pen.JPG State 2 Ken.JPG State 3 Obverses.JPG State 4 Overlay.JPG

15. Sheila Ruley

Wow!! That's cool that you seen this post! That is a great overlay. I am very glad that you did this. Otherwise, it is really not visible. Thank you for this! Good work!

16. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Comparing different dates is like comparing apples and oranges. If you compare only coins with the same date and mint mark and notice some difference you might be on to something. The best way to sell those types of varieties is in a two pack with normal and variety both shown.

17. Sheila Ruley

Yes, I have had plenty of the same dates and mint mark that are wide and close.

18. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Is that the 1992 or 1992D? I have two of each.

19. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

you have 2 of each of the 1992 p&d close AM cent? This I have to see. Please post images if you do.

20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Don't blame you for asking. These coins are madding

Sheila Ruley likes this.
  21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I'll trade you 2 2000 for a 99. I own 0 1999's. Funny for me too. I have 7 i think 98. And hold 2 2000's. Just gave 4 away.

Draft saved Draft deleted