Wide Am?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by AnitaMore, Jul 27, 2019.

1. AnitaMore

AnitaMore Member

Just trying to figure out this wide am thing. What do I have? 15642513814861816950998.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pete Apple

Pete Apple Well-Known Member

I would like to see clear, in focus, upright photos of both sides of your coin.

Diagnostics for a Close AM include the M in AMERICA closer to the A than the E, the A in STATES closer to the right T than the left T, and the FG away from the Memorial. The NE in ONE on the west side vertical bar will have flared corners for the close.

Diagnostics for a Wide AM include the M in AMERICA being midway between the A and the E, the A in STATES being midway between the 2 Ts, and the FG close to the Memorial. The NE in ONE on the west side vertical bar will not have flared corners (to the same degree as those on the Close AM).

The appearance of how close the A is to the M varies as a function of die abrading and die deterioration. Therefore, confirmation of the attribution needs to be factored through the other two features. The distance between the A and the M is the least reliable diagnostic for WAM or CAM

WAM CAM by PA.5.jpg

cpm9ball likes this.
  4. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

We need a better photos and include one of the other side.

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

99% sure that it is wide. You can see a gap between the AM and ME. That being said, OP - you really need to get better pictures if you want accurate answers from the members here.

6. AnitaMore

AnitaMore Member

7. AnitaMore

AnitaMore Member

I'm sorry, I'm new to all of this and there is so much to learn!

Attached Files:

8. AnitaMore

AnitaMore Member

9. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Hi @AnitaMore . Welcome to Coin Talk! Thanks for coming over to the group and trying to learn more. It seems to me as if you do want to learn. If you are starting off searching for the wide AM, let me give you a nice link to a site that I found very useful when I first started.http://www.lincolncentresource.com Go to that site and you will find a ton of useful information on lincoln cent varieties and such. Here is the specific part you are looking for with photos for the wide and close AM varieties that you search for...http://www.lincolncentresource.com/wideams.html
    Happy hunting and remember to take as much time as you do for coin roll hunting to read and learn about the hobby. It will pay off so much in the future!

AnitaMore likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Welcome to CT.

AnitaMore likes this.
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes it is a Wide AM.

AnitaMore likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted