wich 1988 D penny is "the wide AM" ...

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Salvador Villalobos, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Salvador Villalobos

Salvador Villalobos Active Member

:bored::borg:

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Salvador.. All 1988 Cents are normal Wide AM.
    There are no Close AM variety for that year..

From its introduction in 1959 through 1992, all Lincoln Memorial Cents including both business and proof strikes were intended to have the Wide AM reverse. In 1993 the mint changed to the Close AM reverse for both its business and proof strikes. Then in 1994 the mint changed once more and began to produce all business strikes with Close AMs, while using the Wide AMs on all proofs, until the coins last year of production in 2008.

CaptainMac likes this.
  4. CaptainMac

CaptainMac Gotta Love Those Errors and Varieties!

Thank you. Sal, the Wide AM variety only occurred on 1998, 1999, and 2000 pennies, with 1992 being the year to look for a Close AM variety instead, being quite rare.

5. Cliff Reuter

Cliff Reuter Well-Known Member

It sounds like he may be asking about the 1988-D RDV-006 (1988 with the reverse of 1989).
    LINK
    Unfortunately, some attribution services (V V is one I know of) list "Wide AM" in the description, which makes it sound like there is both Wide and Close AM's for the year. I'm probably wrong, but this Wide AM description may have been created at the height of the Close/Wide AM discovery period and hence at the forefront of our descriptive thinking.

Draft saved Draft deleted