Whydah Shipwreck 1714 Coin value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Daniel Lowery, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Daniel Lowery

Daniel Lowery Active Member

I have a framed, 8 Reale coin from the pirate ship Whydah. A local coin dealer said the coin seems genuine in his opinion. It has a Certificate of Authenticity and is in a high quality frame. I found little on the internet but what I did, seems to place a high value on it. Anyway, any thoughts on value or how I might sell it?
    Thanks.
    Dan 1714 Whydah Coin.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

I found this "
    Since his 1984 discovery, Clifford and his team have returned nearly every year to the wreck, over which he has special rights.

They’ve already reclaimed some 200,000 artifacts, including thousands of silver Spanish coins, hundreds of pieces and fragments of rare African gold jewelry, dozens of cannons, various colonial-era objects and other prizes." from http://www.cbsnews.com/news/whydah-...lifford-claims-hes-located-treasure-cape-cod/

4. Daniel Lowery

Daniel Lowery Active Member

Thank you.

Amos 811 likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Anybody can print up a COA for anything.

That being said, it's a nice looking display, and if it really is a piece from the Whydah wreck (and I don't see why it wouldn't be), that's a very cool piece of history. Hard to put any mainstream numismatic value on a coin like this because on the downside, it is sea-salvaged, but on the upside, you've got the famous shipwreck pedigree. The latter is what drives its value, and as such, price is likely to be speculative. It's definitely worth a bit.

That's really neat. I read Clifford's book.

6. David Vapnitsky

David Vapnitsky New Member

7. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Dan, that is a awesome piece of history !! and thanks for sharing !! :)
    There,s a couple of things you need to remember about determining
    Value, the first one you got hands down that,s the cool factor who
    wouldnt want that hanging on the wall, sign me up !

The next thing is authenticity is it authentic and is the company reputable ?
    As previous posters have chimed in on, your research really needs to begin
    there if the company has COA,S from other wrecks or better yet in a national
    auction your getting warmer, that validated document is very important.

Next thing up is rarity, how rare is it ?? and is there a way to validate the numbers ?
    Also and one of the most important is condition, cant really get a good look at
    The coin by the picture, posting one in the coin area of coin talk might get
    you a better idea on that.

And you have to remember this, something is worth only what another person
    is willing to pay for it.

8. Wizzzard

Wizzzard New Member

9. Wizzzard

Wizzzard New Member

edited

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
  10. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

How did you come into possession of this item? Would you supply enlarged pics, of (1) the coin and (2) the COA?

Draft saved Draft deleted