WHY :(

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bruthajoe, Dec 16, 2019.

1. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

That would be fun, I can do that. I would be afraid though that Hoopster and Phys-fan will hunt me down. :nailbiting:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bruthajoe

;)

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Some famous dude with a birthday coming up said something like, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"..... I thought your thread where you were using current to remove tarnish was very educational. I saw the replies. Every one in the bunch were saying the canned "CT" response. But you know what? I bet every one of em has tainted a coin at one point or another in their collecting career. And in the end, who does that coin belong to anyway? If you wanna take em out to the garage and have at em with a hammer, they are yours. I long ago turned a blind eye to the "elevated" among us here at CT. They blow their nose same as me.

bruthajoe likes this.
  5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

send it to me. :D I've drilled through plenty of quarters :woot: to create Coin Christmas Trees for my kids. Matter of fact, maybe that's why the X; someone marked the spot for a drill hole :eek: ... who knows. :wideyed:

bruthajoe likes this.
  6. bruthajoe

Thanks Randy. I know they have to defend the coin carma. I get it. I appreciate your ability to be a bit reasonable about it. I'm glad ya liked it. Thumbs up.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. bruthajoe

And what he said do unto those as though you would to others I don't think he meant dead president's. LOL

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. bruthajoe

I never pass up a good challenge. Man I'm in trouble now.

Attached Files:

Clawcoins likes this.
  9. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

'cept mine were toothpick sized holes so you could stack multiple sized coins up like a tree. That's a big hole. LOL

If you have the right size annular cutter you can cut out the dime to match the hole and stick it in there ...

or maybe I should say Coin Sacrilege !!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    bruthajoe likes this.
  10. bruthajoe

I did it a favor, there was a terrible coin strike on Georges nose. :angelic:

11. bruthajoe

So back to my pocket change, 15 years of it. I'm getting close to the end. Haven't found anything mentioning in a while besides that die crack. I can only say I got some lookers. I just pull em out if they look good. I'm sick of looking at nickles. They are so beat to hell. Even the late years are unattractive to me. I get more nice dimes. Quarters get a little beat up too. Sometimes I swear some of those MS68s business strikes fell onto the floor and rolled out the door.

Attached Files:

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Did Hell freeze over? devil.gif

13. bruthajoe

14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Nah, I think they wanted to burn you at the stake for making it sound like harsh cleaning methods like electrolysis is OK. Nobody cared about the ratty wheat cent

bruthajoe likes this.
  15. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

You should see what I did to coins as a kid and in the Chem lab at College. You would be amazed at what concentrated Nitric Acid can do to a clad coin, or the beautiful azure blue a new cent will tone when exposed to anhydrous ammonia in an inert atmosphere glove box. "Better living through chemistry", I always say. ;)

16. bruthajoe

Sounds like you went a long way in chemistry. But I was exchanging Ions. o_O

-jeffB likes this.
  17. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Like Doug, I think die cracks detract from the coin in most cases, but can be very interesting on otherwise fairly common coins. Like this 55 p quarter with the die crack on the Eagle's right wing. With the toning and die crack makes for an interesting piece. Polish_20191216_201738217.jpg

bruthajoe likes this.
  18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

OMG !!! :wideyed: I had to take a pill when I read that :D

Well, sometimes it's kids messin around. Now granted the kid may be 9 or 10, or 6 ft 2 and weighs 225 - but kids is kids !

Then there's the dealers that do it. In the old days especially when a dealer came across a problem coin, or a fake/counterfeit, OR, if he got taken by one - he'd scratch an X into it so nobody else would look twice at the coin. Some of those guys are still around, no, not nearly as many as there used to be but some still are. And they also teach their younger help the same methods.

You asked - that's why.

bruthajoe likes this.
  19. GDJMSP

green18 likes this.
  20. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

That will be the last time that you ever get a like from me!

Da nerve of some people!

21. GDJMSP

Frank they don't even make numbers big enough for me to keep score on you ! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted