WHY!?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JDL, Aug 13, 2018.

1. JDL

JDL Member

Why would anyone take the time to cut one penny in half (lengthwise) and hollow out a different penny, and try to marry them together if the obverse is worth maybe a buck? I was digging through some of my old pennies from when I was a kid and found this tribute to a major waste of time and effort! I would love to know the reasoning that went into this time-consuming project - any ideas? I've seen similar examples where two different 'heads' (or, 'tails') are combined ... in fact, i found one of those in my stash, too. But, why this? (incidentally, the 'normal' 1907 weighs 3.06 grams; the funky 1907 weighs 3.29 grams, for what that's worth.) funky IH cent001.jpg funky IH cent002.jpg funky IH cent003.jpg funky IH cent004.jpg funky IH cent005.jpg funky IH cent006.jpg funky IH cent007.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

4. green18

Still the Jackass, eh old fellow?
    That should evoke a tirade.......

CoinCorgi likes this.
  5. JDL

JDL Member

What is your problem? Why are you trying to provoke me?

6. green18

That's me.......show yourself old fellow. I think you may be hiding something.

7. JDL

JDL Member

I guess there are trolls on cointalk as well. Come a little closer to my back end - I've got something you'll get a kick out of!

8. green18

I'm not gonna fight with you friend.......it just seems you are the one trollish. I'm established here. You have to establish yourself here. Are you worthy?

Ericred likes this.
  9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

We do have trolls, Green , however, is not one, at 42,000 postings. A plausible answer which I have heard of was a 1877 IHC, that someone ( probably in 1877 or close) had a Love token slogan on the rev. The person knew someone or himself with skill to cut away the reverse and replace with a matching reverse and actually duped some people. That kind of skill does not come overnight , so many practice cents were used I am sure. Someone at the time mentioned that they were a master tool maker / graveur and had to make such a magician coin to pass classes in the mid 1900s. Just memory from some old coin rag. Jim

CoinObsessed18 and green18 like this.
  10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

What just happened

Beefer518 and Gregg like this.
  11. JDL

JDL Member

Thank you, desertgem, for a lucid reply to my original query, before it got hijacked by a poster that obviously feels I am not worthy of being on this site! I guess the question I have for "Mr. Established" is ... what did I say in my posting that made you resent my ignorance and request for feedback? I will try very hard in the future to try and post more snarky remarks so I can become "Established" as well!

NOS and LA_Geezer like this.
  12. Cheech9712

Live and learn. Be you not us. Stand on all four and smile

13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The coins look fine.. They are in a Bezel

Cheech9712 likes this.
  14. JDL

JDL Member

OMG, you're right! It is a bezel - the most logical answer eluded me because I didn't look close enough at the obverse; I focused on the reverse and totally missed the obvious. Perhaps "green18' is correct - I am not worthy!

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I had too many drinks and forgot how to spell bezel.

dwhiz, Noah Finney, Gregg702 and 3 others like this.
  16. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

These are relics of the Civil War.

During the war, getting a secret message securely across enemy lines was very difficult. At one point agents in the North were using hollowed out coinage to accomplish this task - the penny was a good size for the microfiche they were using at the time. It was "knowledge in a penny" that won the war and one reason why Lincoln was honored on the one cent piece.

Those in the know refer to such pennies as espionage tokens.

CoinObsessed18 and Cheech9712 like this.
  17. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

trainwreck.jpg

dwhiz and Noah Finney like this.
  18. tmeyer

tmeyer Au hunter

Wow! What just happened is right! I like this Coin talk form and have learned a lot of great things from it. But to let someone talk that way because they have over 42,000 posts does not seem right. There are well known members on here that I respect because they show respect too and some I do not respect and take them with a grain of salt. This is why I do not post very many questions. I just read and learn.

Very interesting coin! Thanks for sharing and for the info on it too.

Noah Finney, JDL and Cheech9712 like this.
  19. Cheech9712

@green18. PRICELESS. Don't doubt @paddyman98 either. IMO

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

JDL - Cutting a penny in half (lengthwise) - surely not a case of severe schizophrenia ? Unless a childhood prank !

21. JDL

JDL Member

Draft saved Draft deleted