Why would these go for so much?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CircCam, Mar 26, 2017.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Very interesting, never heard of tab toning before, so another good lesson learned.

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. recoinect

recoinect Member

I don't care what kind of toning they had, to me they have absolutely zero eye appeal.

Paul M. likes this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

By the pics, they're ugly as sin.

Paul M. and sakata like this.
  5. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Some sins are not that ugly.

6. green18

These are.....in one's most humble opinion.

tommyc03 and Paul M. like this.
  7. green18

Ya wanna do the 'tab' thing? Take proper photog's........

Paul M. likes this.
  8. CircCam

CircCam Victory

The seller's other items are all assorted antiques in the pages I browsed... Perhaps they thought the coins were nothing special and got a pleasant surprise.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's very simple, because something is not worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Something is only worth what a knowledgeable person is willing to pay for it. And most of the buyers on ebay are not knowledgeable persons.

tommyc03 and Santinidollar like this.
  10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Thank you. That "something is worth what someone is willing to pay" nonsense pops up far too often.

11. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

How is it nonsense? It is basic economics. Just like any product, the exact same item can be worth more to one person than another. If an item is consistently selling for X amount that's a good idea of it's value. Unless you are referring to a sample size of one sale in which case I agree (refer to my post above saying there are outliers) the sale amount can be a terrible estimate either positively or negatively.

Also like almost any product the vast majority of buyers are not knowledgeable, they still affect the price/value of the product. I'm not sure how buyers on ebay being unknowledgeable implies what they're willing to pay is not a good estimate of what a coin is worth. They are part of the market, their uneducated opinion on value counts. See the silver Krugerand sales.

The problem with using ebay sales is when places like one of my LCS's selectively use ebay results. When you objectively look at past sales I'm not sure how that won't give you a good estimate of value.

Unless we are arguing semantics and definitions of certain terms here.

Paul M. likes this.
  12. GDJMSP

No it isn't. Just because some people (ebay buyers who don't know any better) are willing to pay more than a given coin is worth, that doesn't make the coin actually worth that much. And no, their uneducated opinion on value doesn't count.

Let's say some guy in parking lot comes up to you and says - hey mister, wanna but a Rolex watch for $300 - and you buy it. Does that make the fake watch worth $300 ? Of course not. The one and only thing it means is that you paid $300 for a watch that is only worth $3. And the same thing is true if the guy sells a thousand of them to a thousand different people. They are still only worth $3.

Same thing with coins on ebay.

13. IBetASilverDollar

Remove the fake part since obviously I agree someone selling a fake coin as real is not a good example of value (again, it's an outlier) and say thousands of people buy a watch for $300 on ebay that is complete garbage and any serious/educated watch collector would laugh at anyone paying more than $10 for...yes that watch is still worth close to $300 because the market is, whether rightfully or not, allowing for it to sell for that.

Now long term value is a different story. That garbage $300 watch will be worth pennies in the future, that doesn't change it's current value being what the idiots are willing to pay for it (not just one idiot in an isolated sale, but consistent idiots). Similarly with a coin, like my example of the Silver Krugerand. I think you would agree $60 for a 1 ounce silver bullion coin is a little absurd. It's still worth $60 right now, that's what it's selling for. 2 years from now I don't have confidence it's worth that much.

We may just have to agree to disagree on this one though which is fine since I've learned about 400,000 things from your posts so far in my short time here (and I like Santini's posts too).

edit: also not implying at all that people buying the silver krug are idiots, it's definitely collectible and I don't judge people for what they want to spend their money on, I just personally was not a fan of the price tag on that one

Santinidollar likes this.
  14. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

All that does is proves you're willing to take advantage if you can. Not a good look.

15. IBetASilverDollar

I'm not selling fake watches lol

In fact the only coins (aside from one I got lucky with) I've sold ever have been at losses which is fine by me, I'm not trying to make money off coins I genuinely really enjoy collecting them and have no expectations of ever profiting.

Still though, I fail to see how selling something to someone at a price they're willing to pay based on their valuation is unethical or a bad look if you aren't being deceitful about the product you're selling.

To be honest, I think your post is a little out of line based on my above posts. In no way should what I posted result in a shot at my character.

16. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

This all reminds me of a past post of mine. When I search bank rolls, I save and sort into groups of 20 each, die chips, die cracks and other minor errors. There seems to be very little interest here on CT with these very minor errors but I am able to fetch $10.00 on average per grouping. I do not hype any of my ads claiming them to be rare or worth anything great monetarily in the future. But others do enjoy and collect them. I even have a coin club in Florida that makes several large purchases a year, they use them for hand outs and teaching aids. Am I wrong in doing this? I do not think so. So, if the market is there why should I not enjoy the fruits of my searches, make a little money and pursue my hobby with the proceeds of this. Does my doing this show a flaw in (my) character or am I simply being industrious honestly.

17. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say "very few," but it's definitely not the norm, and a tab toning pattern is worth a good premium. It's similar to textile toning in Morgans in that respect.

IBetASilverDollar likes this.
  18. IBetASilverDollar

Cant imagine anyone taking issue with this. You arent being deceitful and selling a product to an adult at a price they are willing to pay. I dont want to live in a world where thats unethical.

i hope people that take issue with that also take issue with people cherry picking ebay. Maybe Im wrong but I dont remember many speaking out against that.

tommyc03 likes this.
  19. CircCam

CircCam Victory

IMG_3002.JPG IMG_3265.JPG
    This is the one I picked up. Just got back from the PCGS certified pre-grader taking a look. Received an MS63. Not worth it to grade it but I'm happy with the purchase for under $30. :)

green18, Santinidollar and Paul M. like this.
  20. GDJMSP

My example doesn't have anything to do with fakes, or with a watch. What I am trying to get you to understand, to realize, is the principle, the idea behind it. That being that no matter how many people overpay for an item, as long as you can go around the corner and purchase the same item for much less the item will never, ever, be worth the higher amount.

And that is what happens on ebay with coins. Ebay buyers, because they don't know any better, consistently pay more for coins than they are really worth. No, not in every single case, but in the majority of them. You can go to dealers or other venues and buy the same coins for less, pretty much any day of the week, and with just about any coin. The same thing goes for the watch I used as an example.

So for you to say this -

- flies in the face of all reason when you can go to any discount store and buy the same watch for $3 or $10, or whatever. You see, it simply cannot be said that the watch (or the coin) is worth $300 when you can do that.

21. IBetASilverDollar

I think the main disconnect (since I agree with everything you just posted) is I was looking at it from a sellers point of view and not a buyers point of view. As a buyer I completely agree, I don't care what a bunch of ebay bidiots paid for something. I'm not in it to flip coins or try and profit so that's irrelevant to me. I want to buy coins I love at a fair price (by my definition) so I pass wayyyy more than I buy even for things I really want.

As a seller I would very much value my inventory as what I could sell it for on ebay. In that case the item is absolutely worth what someone will pay for it, to me and my business.

I'm just glad it's not my business because I would get absolutely clobbered lol

Draft saved Draft deleted