Why would these go for so much?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CircCam, Mar 26, 2017.

1. CircCam

CircCam Victory

IMG_3225.PNG I was just browsing and saw this lot go all the way past $150 before ending.

Is there any reason I'm unaware of why these would go for so much?

I often see worn ones go for <20 and got one myself a couple weeks ago UNC/uncleaned with luster for 30.

I'm less than a year into seriously collecting- just trying to further my knowledge if I'm missing something or confirm if it was just a strange bidding war that got out of hand. Thanks.

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Here's the other photos... I thought maybe one or more were counterstamped or something but I don't see it looking at these.

The A in the main coin below looks more squared off than mine though.

Attached Files:

Paul M. likes this.
  4. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

The bottom left and top right seem to have spent the majority of their life in the original packaging by the looks of the toning. Was the packaging include in the sale?

Paul M. likes this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Well worn and ugly (by your photos), I can't fathom why they'd fetch such an amount. Idiots?

Paul M. likes this.
  6. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I don't think so. Here's the listing URL: https://www.ebay.com/itm/332156540608

7. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Worn? look at the toning its fresh out of the original holder

Paul M. likes this.
  8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

If they're all Mint State, they're technically worth rather more than was paid. I suspect the buyer intends to....reverse-engineer....the toning.

Insider and Paul M. like this.
  9. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Not only that, the winning bidder had another, higher bid, which was not triggered.

10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Starting at a penny with auction, I could imagine that someone got carried away. That is some of most awful toning. But Dave may be correct, some jiggering with these could produce something entirely different.

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Very few classic commems have tab toning like that shown.

Chris

12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a crazy price. Stone Mountains are popular and definitely worth $40/each. 2 of these have nice toning. All look original.

Paul M. likes this.
  13. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Thanks much for all the replies- that's just what I was interested to hear. From what I'm seeing here it sounds like the original and unaltered nature of them and the visual indications of how they were stored is where the value lies. Great to know.

Paul M. likes this.
  14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

As Chris said. This is tab toning. Folks will pay for that look.

Paul M. likes this.
  15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This is the type of holder that caused the toning.
    del-6.jpg

16. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

IMG_1994.JPG IMG_1990.JPG IMG_1993.JPG IMG_1994.JPG IMG_1993.JPG Way too expensive for them looks like junk silver coins. Here is mine and picked it up about a month ago from my local coin shop. IMG_1990.JPG

Paul M. likes this.
  17. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

I think they are unique and bid is reasonable. the Stone Mountain is one of the most common of the classic commems, but the toning is pretty impressive and provides some good stories and interest.

Paul M. and ldhair like this.
  18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

One never knows for sure the reasons why people do what they do when it comes to buying coins. But this may be safely said: it is quite common for buyers on ebay to over-pay, and sometimes grossly over-pay. This is why realized prices on ebay should never be used to estimate a coin's value.

In this particular case did the buyer over-pay ? In my opinion yes, and the reasons already mentioned may explain why. Perhaps he wanted to gamble, perhaps he has a particular like of original tab toning, perhaps, perhaps, perhaps. And perhaps it is a case of nothing more than yet another ebay buyer not knowing what he is doing.

Paul M. likes this.
  19. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

If something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, why would realized ebay auctions not be a good estimate?

(Obviously there are outliers and very high variance rare coins)

20. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Paul M. likes this.
  21. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Many people like (and will pay up) for tab toning like this. I like the original toning caused by the tab holders they originally came in, but since I don't collect commems take my opinion for what it is worth.

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted