Why would someone pay so much extra for this?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Gam3rBlake, May 4, 2021.

1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That's nothing. Toning does that to prices. It does it to the grades, too, inflates them, when the market graders like it.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I guess they are selling the toning for $1,000, but it's too dark in my opinion.

4. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I understand that but I didn't think ugly, nasty, toning would result in such an inflated price.

I would definitely understand the price a little bit if the toning was beautiful but it looks like it was dropped in an oil slick.

5. johnmilton

If you read the blogs, you will find out that some collectors think that ANY toning is a plus. They don’t seem to have any esthetic taste at all. Judging toning is a bit like grading. Some people can never get the hang of it.

Many collectors are now obsessed with originality. Yes, a pretty coin with original surfaces is highly desirable. I get it. But a corroded piece of black silver is not. I have come to hate the term “crusty.” Too often it means environmental damage. It’s not “beautiful;” it’s ugly. You buy them, but don’t come crying to me when the next buyer offers you a lot less than you paid. I tried to help you, but there is an old saying about leading horses to water.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  6. Gam3rBlake

Ah ok gotcha.

In that case maybe I should put a couple of my 1921 Morgan Dollars in my gun safe with lots of sulphur and tone them then resell them for 3x the price ;)

Evan Saltis likes this.
  7. johnmilton

You might be surprised at the offers you get.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  8. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

You're certainly not the first.

Yep. But you're not supposed to say that :nailbiting:

eddiespin likes this.
  9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'm evil that way, lol.

But actually, Evan, PCGS has standards on "eye appeal," I don't know if you know. If you want to see them and can't find them I'll see if I can dig them up for you. Really, I think it's kind of insane to be telling its graders what pretty is, but who am I to judge. But this guide has pictures of toned coins, and if it looks kind of like this one, it gets a half-grade bump, and if it looks kind of like that one, it gets a full-grade bump. It's old, I saw it years ago. But yeah, that's market grading for you, every bit of it.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  10. Gam3rBlake

Here's another one!

This is crazy!

But at least this one has nice toning (in my opinion).

md2.jpg

11. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted