Why would someone pay so much extra for this?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Gam3rBlake, May 4, 2021.

1. William F

William F Well-Known Member

Interesting... I've only ever submitted coins to NGC, I did not know that, thanks for the tidbit! :)

ddddd likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

All of the grading services will do it if you ask (NGC, PCGS, ICG, and Anacs).

William F likes this.
  4. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Do you think maybe since now it's 2021 (100 years later) that the 1921s are in higher demand?

I heard the US Mint is making a 2021 Morgan Dollar and maybe people will want the set of 1921 & 2021.

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

Yes the anniversary and hype surrounding it is one of the biggest reasons for the increase. I was aware that 1921 Peace Dollars had increased (close to doubled vs a couple of years ago) but just noticed the same is true with the 1921-D Morgan (looks like the 21-S is also up quite a bit while the Philadelphia minted example shows a more moderate gain).

6. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

There are so many coins and so many different mintmarks, conditions, toning or not, etc....that a big company like APMEX can't possibly know the market for every specific niche like they can for a 1924 Saint-Gaudens MS65.

So....they go by recent sales on their site or other sites...and will just bump it up by 25% or 50% or even more based on guestimates of current market conditions.

If they sell quickly, they might look to raise the price. If it sits with no bids for months on end, they may lower.

It's what you have to do with thousands of different coins. Online and computer updates help a bit compared to 10-20 years ago, but instaneous price updates aren't here yet. Except maybe on that dealer-to-dealer network.

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  7. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

6,988 in the grade, and 3094 higher....insane is not the word I'd use. But some uneducated individual will buy it 'cause it's purdy. Ahhh, no it's not.

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  8. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

That's kinda what I mean.

If it was a beautifully toned coin I think I would understand the price better. But I would still think its pretty steep.

But this coin toned pretty ugly.

9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I just did that thing is FUGLY.
    But I'm sure some one likes it after all it sold for $528. 6/20

10. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Or they used the old marketing trick of quadrupling the price and offering half off to make the unsuspecting feel like they got a bargain.

William F likes this.
  11. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I submitted my first coin to a TPG (PCGS) and I already found out I should have asked for it to be Reverse facing forward.

2 1796 NC-2.jpg
    The obverse was used on 6 different varieties while this is the only use of the reverse. So the reverse is the money shot.

I'll just settle for the Details grade it deserves and the True View. They sometimes Net the Details Grade which aggravates me.

I think this deserves a Genuine - VF Details grade with a net above G6. G6-VG8 is the estimate I've been given. The current CC#4 at Net G5 seems to be a little harshly graded to me, but I prefer more detail over worn specimens with fewer problems. It's the opposite preference from those who traditionally keep the CC lists.

~But since it has no luster...~

Legend
    CC - Condition Census
    ~sarcasm~

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  12. bikergeek

bikergeek Active Member

Regarding the many outlets where you might find one particular coin: usually the best bet is when the dealer has their own shop. Dealers often tack on added cost to defray the bite that eBay takes, and I'm sure there are similar upcharges when working through a huge site like APMEX (but I'm not familiar with details).

In this case, Tangible Investments does have their own storefront. The listing price there is the same as at eBay. But if I were pursuing an item, I'd contact them directly and make an offer outside of eBay.

Of course, Tangible might not be the owner of this - they may be selling it for an individual consigner or listing it on behalf of another dealer. But they can still tender an offer to the consignor.

It's also useful to see that Tangible listed this on Collector's Corner. Priced there at $999. Last listed on April 8 (an old listing date is helpful - might mean they are open to offers. However, a lot of sellers refresh their listings frequently so that's not always possible to discern).

And now that I've spent four paragraphs on buyer strategy, I'll weigh in on the aesthetics question. I once asked a guy, "why would you date skinny blonde girls when curvy brunettes are so much nicer?" And then he punched me in the nose. (OK, I'm just kidding about the punch thing. heheh)

13. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I have about 30 Morgans, of which 12 are 1921. Two of those 12 are 1921D & 1921S. I've not been knowledgeable about toning until I started reading in CT. I'm not much on the total toning of coins, but this thread made me go back and look at my Morgans. I don't know how significant it is, but many of my Morgans have, what I think is toning on the outside edge of the coins. Does the toning cover more of the coin as it gets older? What I have called as toning is a pinkish hue on the edge of the face of the coins. I don't know how my father stored them. They were given to my brother and he gave me a list of the coins and we divided them as evenly as possible. I would like to know more about toning. Any idea of a good reference that will help me understand. I have a couple of coins that were graded as well as a set of 3 (1882CC, 1883CC, 1884CC) NGC MS 65 that have no toning. I bought 10 1921 before I got into coin collecting. I do have the 1921D & 1921S, of which none have any "toning". Anyway, I appreciate the information CT has been giving. I know I have a long way to go to be a true coin collector. Oh, yeah. I want to take pictures to down load, but that is another story.

14. ddddd

ddddd Member

I would recommend reading these two for more information:

https://forums.collectors.com/discu...ng-of-the-color-progression-on-toned-coins/p1

http://www.jhonecash.com/coins/tonedmorgans.asp

In regards to the question, "Does the toning cover more of the coin as it gets older," it greatly depends on the storage method and environment. You might not see any noticeable difference for many years or it might tone quickly if the conditions allow it.

15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The coin has unusually colorful toning for a 1921, 1921s are a sort of hot right now (harder to source in quantity than you might think), and APMEX probably paid at least $600 for it because of the toning. They therefore think they can get $1179 for it. That doesn't mean they will.

While the toning is colorful, it's not $1000 worth of attractive to me. I'm not even sure it's $425 worth of attractive, although I'd have to see it in hand.

tibor likes this.
  16. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Thank goodness, I'm retired and can read the above.

ddddd likes this.
  17. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Toning, at it's root, is a chemical change to the surfaces of the coin. Sometimes it's pretty and sometimes it's not. Whether it is in an environment that promotes or inhibits additional exposure to the elements causing the chemical changes will determine whether it will continue to tone or not.

Whether it develops a protective patina or an ugly corrosion is also dependent on the environment it is exposed to.

Add to that, different specialties treat toning, patina and corrosion differently.

18. Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler Well-Known Member

Apmex doubling their purchase price at Stacks? I am in the wrong business!

19. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

They haven't sold it yet, and they might not have been the buyer at Stack's.

20. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

It depends on whether you are able to sell designer coins or not. Some people have more dollars than sense apparently.

Gam3rBlake and Chris Winkler like this.
  21. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

hey @Gam3rBlake i think the price is way to high for that coin. like you said, the toning isn't very good. I'm behind you on this one....good luck to ya man

Gam3rBlake likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted