Why would large auction house...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hugh Stiel, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Hugh Stiel

Hugh Stiel Made in New Orleans

I notice months ago that a large auction company made changes to posting their pictures of a lot of coins sold at their sales , on PCGS And NGC. Simple they don't post pictures on many coins.
    It makes it impossible to track a coin or compare coins. It hides a lot of information from public by being so secretive.
    Same is true with posting prices on PCGS or NGC.
    How can in the same breath they say the care about hobby and collectors.
    2. If you are not a client you can no longer see coins pictures at all for any reason or price sold for.
    3. After a large amount of buys my account was closed so I have no historical history or support I was promised as a legacy client. I wasn't given an explanation.

I see this as a huge negitive for the company them selves, value of coins and huge red flag.
    Does this bother you?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hugh Stiel

4. Hugh Stiel

5. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

What company are you talking about?

6. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

My guess would be Heritage, given how often Hugh complains about them.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I have to sign in to be able to see all the information. It's always been that way for me. Maybe you have a friend that will allow you to use their account for viewing?

harrync likes this.
  8. Hugh Stiel

HA

9. Hugh Stiel

Hi, I'm sorry you don't think these are big issues yet. As time goes on what I am saying will be appreciated by collectors. I'll be boring you for a while Or until change Takes place.

10. Hugh Stiel

Futhermore you seem very nice and understand what I'm trying to say. Do you disagree?
    Hugh

11. Hugh Stiel

12. Hugh Stiel

Example please patronize me and let's say you want to buy a 1859-O 50 c PF64 NGC CAC. You might go to NGC First. Tell me what you find and what value might be. Consider all the possibilities.
    PCGS ?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  13. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

They take "creative license" with some of their auction listings where defective coins have been certified by the 1st tier TPG. When the defective product is sold the seller is pleased, and the buyer has limited recourse, as they don't allow the subject product to be viewed. The process for viewing generally requires subpoena legal action, which most clients will avoid. Under subpoena/deposition in a discovery process I could cite complete specific examples. I've generally openly presented examples in this venue, but unaffected parties have little interest.

Hugh, I believe you must be looking for punishment to continue posting here.

JMHO

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I understand.

15. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

I don't. What the heck does this mean?

"I notice months ago that a large auction company made changes to posting their pictures of a lot of coins sold at their sales , on PCGS And NGC. Simple they don't post pictures on many coins.
    It makes it impossible to track a coin or compare coins. It hides a lot of information from public by being so secretive.
    Same is true with posting prices on PCGS or NGC."

That HA doesn't post pictures of some coins? Then why bid? I've never seen a coin I was interested in (or not interested in) without a picture - unless the auction was months away. In fact Heritage posts HUGE pictures - the best I've seen.

I guess I'm not translating this post correctly.

16. Hugh Stiel

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  17. Hugh Stiel

I understand that. But I have experienced what you have just said and several other big ticket items. It's been 4 years since this started and Ive banged away. Why do you think they have not been able to silence me.
    There's only one way and trust me I'm watching my back.
    They say they owe me nothing.
    Well I say I have several actions that will take my case to a new and higher level. You will be shocked at the risk involved by them And the tangled web involved. This reaches every piece of the hobby. Organized. People or turning. Besides our case hasn't started. When we get a judge and he tells me to shut up I will. Would you rather me settle and the truth never be told ever like the past
    Sorry about the last time we spoke. I was in a made mood or something

18. Hugh Stiel

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attached Files:

19. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Hugh, I believe most of advanced intelligence understand what is happening in the industry. As the analogous Don Quixote of the Numismatic Industry, I believe you'll find little support in a singular civil action.

It's been shown that a "higher bar" Federal Class Action is required for change. We've generally had success in Minnesota and other states where the states aligned with Federal authorities to dismantle firms that have repeatedly violated the Civil rights of a "class".

There are several industries in this country that have lobbied and finagled control of private sector wealth by creative means. I personally don't know which is better, the thieves in private industry or government.

Regardless, I think you will find patience and perseverance are necessary to overcome your obstacles, accomplish your goals. Legal process/progress generally requires same, with a timely plan of support by a "class", and government application of existing legislation, legal precedent.

JMHO

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    ldhair likes this.
  20. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

Same here. I have no idea what the OP is talking about. My only recollection where no pictures were available is maybe on larger group lots. Even on smaller group lots, I have never seen a Heritage listing without pictures. There are archived listings where the picture has been deleted, but only on old listings, as in at least a decade if not more.

Going by the tone I read in some of these posts, seems to me there are some who have who had negative experiences in the past where they didn't buy what they thought they did. This is a risk of buying "sight unseen", especially if the purchase price is meaningful financially to the bidder.

If you (generically) are not comfortable buying off of images, then you need to arrange to inspect the coin in person yourself or have someone you trust do it for you. If the expectation is that the buyer should be able to buy a coin sight unseen and then return it for "not as described", this is subjective and in my opinion, not necessarily a realistic expectation.

With other auction firms, I have had this happen to me where I was able to return the coin but these coins were "raw". Most of the time though, I just "ate" my loss. None of the amounts were material though because I'm not going to put myself in this position.

Auction firms are not dealers. As a buyer, if you want a return privilege, then buy from a dealer or eBay.

If the complaint is related to historical images, I don't think it has any merit. I agree auction firms need to describe current lots adequately. I don't see that they have any obligation to provide any other information to assist the buyer in how much to pay. The information Heritage provides is more extensive than any other auction firm I know, most of whom don't provide anything.

harrync and Jaelus like this.
  21. Hugh Stiel

Draft saved Draft deleted