Why Would 1967 & 1968 Half Dollars Weigh Too Much?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Good Cents, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

Hi All. It's been a while since I've posted. I've been very busy since the Covid situation started and all the repercussions to work, home, relatives, etc.

Anyway, I'm trying to get back to important things, such as my coin collection :p and I came across 2 coins that I'm wondering about.

I have a 1967 and a 1968 Half Dollar and they each weigh 11.63 or 11.64 grams. The scale has been calibrated and my other 40% Half Dollars all weigh 11.50 give or take +/-0.04 grams.

Isn't 0.13 grams too high an amount to be off? Why would they weigh that much?

And if they are counterfeit, how could I tell?

K40 Front.jpg K40 Back.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

The weight for a 40% Silver Kennedy Half is 11.50 grams +/- 0.400 (11.10 to 11.90 is acceptable). Your 1967 and 1968 Halves are within range.
    upload_2020-8-23_0-48-59.png

Good Cents, tmeyer and CaptHenway like this.
  4. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

Ooooppps!! :wideyed: o_O

I thought the +/- was .04

I'm sorry all. Please disregard this post! :facepalm:

(Darn those zeros - they keep getting into the wrong places! :shifty: )

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  5. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Hi. May I ask where these tables came from and whether that source also has tolerances for foreign coins? Thanks.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Answer can be found here -
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/i-have-a-question.331678/

As for foreign/world coins, there is no single source for all of them. And what sources there are, they are found in books about the specific coins. And since a great many periods of time are involved no single book covers everything because the weight and fineness tolerances changed sometimes from year to year, other time for decades.

That said, if you'd be specific about what you want to know - ask, you may get an answer.

edit - I would also add that the situation with world coins can be far more complicated than many would think. This thread gives you some idea of why -
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancient-medieval-weight-standards-of-old-coins.246389/

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    Good Cents likes this.
  7. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

As always, thanks for the very thorough responses. And nope, I don't have any foreign coin in particular. Now and then, I come across one that I wonder about, like recently, a 2020 China 30g silver Panda that weighed 28.7g.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

They are within acceptable ranges.

Good Cents likes this.
  9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

If the coins are within acceptable ranges why is it not posted that way? Inquiring minds want to know, thank you.

Good Cents likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

All coins have a tolerance.

11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Thank you CN.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

To be a bit more specific for those who do not know, silver and gold coins have 2 tolerances actually - one for weight and one for fineness.

JeffC likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

All so true

Draft saved Draft deleted