Why????? Waste of a rare date

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by rooman9, Nov 8, 2015.

1. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

spirityoda and Endeavor like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Keep in mind it was done when the coin was commonly found in circulation. I'd imagine the date wouldn't have stood out much back in the 1930's.

If you want to see something sickening and downright perverse then check this out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Australian-...ing-Antique-Finish-Sz-X-Z5-11-15/291157270050 This is being done in the present day and quite intentionally. Once these coins are gone they are gone forever. There is no excuse or justification for this activity.

rooman9 and Endeavor like this.
  4. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

At least the ring is nice. Still a shame though.

The worst thought is a valuable coin in a parking lot. Imagine a 1909-S VDB laying on a parking lot surface. You know at some point in its history it has happened. Talk about ouch!

rooman9 likes this.
  5. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

I agree that it's a shame to lose any coin, under any circumstances. It's also common to find Mercury dimes that have been cut out to make necklaces. In one sense the coin lives on as a treasured piece of jewelry. The ring in your thread is breathtakingly beautiful and making one is extremely labor intensive. I mourn the loss of a collectible coin, but would wear that ring proudly. Many of us have lost a coin or two over the years for much less worthy reasons. Just MHO. Jack

rooman9 likes this.
  6. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I have a fellow who comes in looking to buy a 90% half or two to make rings out of. He's quite skilled. I always have mixed feelings selling him a coin or two, and make sure they are well worn and common date.

rooman9 likes this.
  7. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

That one hurts. The crowns were only made for two years! I'm ok with people taking common years or worn coins for things like this. But these coins can never come back.

8. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I agree with you guys to an extent on turning coins into rings. I really appreciate turning a coin into a ring, especially if it's done right. Those rings are a work of art and will be appreciated as such. It's far better to do that to a common date half dollar, then to turn them over to a smelter and have them become a bar. That bar will just go into some storage container and is never appreciated for what it once was.

9. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

You are right and I am wrong! I didn't realize the scarcity of the Crowns. I would be much more willing to accept the destruction of a modern, common coin or, as you say, severely one that is worn. If there are so few of these they should be set aside and conserved for everyone's enjoyment. Thanks for fastening my head back upon my shoulders.

I'm thinking what if someone made a ring out of an MS US Trade Dollar (which I don't own in any grade). I'd be livid. Jack

10. Endeavor

How do you guys feel about people who do this?

11. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

For me, it's a little hard to get too upset about copper pennies, EXCEPT if you're talking, once again, about scarce or rare dates/MM. Making the little tokens isn't any better or worse than using pennies as mosaic pieces. Can you see yourself wearing a ring made of a 1909-S, VDB? (Maybe someone like Donald Trump). Jack

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

My wife was in a jewelry store to pick up a watch that had been repaired when an airheaded woman -- obviously with more money than sense -- came in with a box full of gold coins. The clerk told her they were Saint-Gaudens and she needed to get them appraised.

That's not what she wanted. What she did want was for the store "to drill holes in them" and make Mardi Gras necklaces out of them for her friends. The jeweler refused, enraging the woman. She stomped out, promising to send her account business to a big competitor.

According to my wife, the jeweler said "the hell with that dumb bell." He probably cost himself quite a bit of business by doing the right thing.

13. Santinidollar

They are stupid. And since the stupid now far outnumber even the moderately intellligent, they probably will do a boom business.

jackhd and Endeavor like this.
  14. Endeavor

Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done to stop someone from destroying valuable coins they own, should they really want to. You can try to talk sense into them but ultimately they can do whatever they want.

On the flip side, when people destroy their valuable coins it reduces the number left in existence or undamaged. So it's not all bad I suppose.

15. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I resell some of the more common coins that I buy and have doubles of on eBay, and sometimes I know the people buying them are going to use them for jewelry (like they have something in their user name about jewelry or they tell me). Even if they are pretty common it kind of bothers me. I hate seeing neat old coins defaced.

Endeavor likes this.
  16. Santinidollar

Trying to talk sense to someone who wants to destroy a valuable coin is useless. If they had any sense in the first place they wouldn't want to destroy it, thus making it unnecessary to talk sense to them.

NOS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted