Why this coin did not 65

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Boxeldercoin, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Boxeldercoin

Boxeldercoin New Member

DSCF4841.jpg DSCF4842.jpg DSCF4843.jpg DSCF4844.jpg DSCF4845.jpg I keep looking at this coin and can not understand why this coin did not get a MS65 grade. I have seen other coins that are not this nice that were in MS65 slabs. I admit I allways have had trouble grading morgans but normally I undergrade Morgans. So what do you think about the grade? And should I send it back in for a regrade? Jim

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I need to see the whole coin

4. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

What did it grade? Do you have a pic of the full coin?

5. Boxeldercoin

Boxeldercoin New Member

DSCF4850.jpg DSCF4849.jpg DSCF4847.jpg DSCF4846.jpg Hi, Forgot to tell you the coin is a 1887-S. Jim

6. Boxeldercoin

Boxeldercoin New Member

The coin graded MS64, Jim

7. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

I would say the contact marks are not light or scattered enough to make a 65 grade. The first ones that I noticed, before enlarging the pics, were the marks under her eye, and on the base of her neck, along with what looks like fingerprints as well.

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

There are hits in the check and in the fields some minor surface breaks

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'd say it has to do with subdued luster more than anything else.

10. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

BTW - the reverse is great and the strike is wonderful. I'd add it to my collection without thought and pay decently for it.

11. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Because it isn't cartwheeling?

12. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The cheek has a fair amount of hits, and the strike is fair to good. The fields are not super clean, either. On the reverse, the eagle has a few hits on the breastbone area. I agree with the 64 grade.

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think the current grade is appropriate.

Chris

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

From these pics it's very plausible it's a technical MS65. But they're market grading. And how does one hold their feet to the fire on their market grades?

EDIT: More specifically, this, from the PCGS website on market grading: "A numerical grade that matches the grade at which a particular coin generally is traded in the marketplace. The grading standard used by PCGS." How does one hold their feet to the fire on a grading standard like that?

15. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I think there are too many hits on the obverse for the coin to grade anything above a MS64.

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You can't tell if it cartwheels or not in a picture. You have to move the coin to see that. But based on what I can see in the pic the coin does not appear to have as much luster as it could/should have. That is common with 64s.

Draft saved Draft deleted