Why Theodora?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gsimonel, Jul 30, 2019.

1. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

The coin below is a commemorative coin of Theodora, (2nd?) wife of Constantinus I, (but not the mother of Constantine the Great or his descendants; CtG's mother was Helena):
    [​IMG]
    AE3
    Trier mint, A.D. 337-340
    Obv: FL MAX THE-ODORAE AVG
    Rev: PIETAS ROMANA - Pietas, standing facing right, holding infant to breast
    CONSS in exergue
    RIC (Vol.VIII) 50/51, var.
    15mm, 1.5g.

This coin was minted during the reign of the three sons of CtG after they'd bumped off Delmatius and Hannibalianus and had themselves declared co-Augustii.

My question is: why did they mint this coin? It's true that she was the wife of their grandfather, but she wasn't their grandmother. Step-grandmother, I guess. But even if Constantius I had never married Helena, CtG acknowledged her as his mother and had her declared Augusta in A.D. 324. He even minted coins in her name (see below), so anyone who cared probably knew that Theodora was not the mother of the Augustii. Yet they minted this commemorative. I wonder why.

For good measure, here's a coin of Helena:
    [​IMG]
    AE3
    Trier mint, A.D. 327-329
    Obv: FL HELENA AVGVSTA
    Rev: SECVRITAS REIPVBLICAE - Securitas, standing left, holding downward branch and raising pallium
    [dot]STRE in exergue
    RIC 515
    19mm, 3.2g

And while we're at it, we might as well complete the trio with a coin of Fausta, the notorious wife of CtG:
    [​IMG]
    AE3
    Ticinum mint, A.D. 326-328
    Obv: FLAV MAX FAVSTA AVG
    Rev: SPESREI-PVBLICAE - Spes, standing, facing left, holding two children in her arms.
    S[crescent]T in exergue
    RIC 203
    18mm, 2.6g.

Post anything you think is relevant.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Interesting new coin!

[​IMG]
    Fausta Augusta, Struck 326-328 AD
    AE2, Thessalonica Mint

Obverse: FLAV MAX – FAVSTA AVG, bust of Fausta, waved hair, mantled, right.
    Reverse: SPES REIP-VBLICAE, Empress, veiled, draped, standing front, head left, holding two children in her arms.
    Exergue: SMTSA
    References: RIC VII 161

chrsmat71, Ryro, Bing and 4 others like this.
  4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

It's all in the name....Theodora Maximiana, as in daughter (biological or adopted) of emperor Maximian.

It was a way for the Constantine boys to say...."Hey, not only was our grandfather a tetrarch, but we also have a daughter of a tetrarch in our family."

Sure, she may not have been a blood relative, but since when did that stop a Roman from using a "relative's" name as a way to boost their own legitimacy?

Look at the Julio-Claudian emperors, look at the Severans, look at countless others who used names of previous emperors (many whom had at best a made-up connection ....not even an adoptive link). Being a blood relative of a nobody meant less in the ancient world than being related to a powerful name by either adoption, marriage, or totally made up link. Why do you think Elagabalus claimed that he was the son of Caracalla? Who cares if it wasn't true? As long as the soldiers believed it, and there wad some political capital to be gained, that's all that really mattered.

PS: Here's Helena...

dQm2G5HyLp4wSPj8rJ3K3Cn7B6Lb9j (1) (1).jpg
    Helena, Mother of Constantine, 327 - 328 AD
    AE Follis, Antioch Mint, 20mm, 2.88 grams
    Obverse: FL HELENA AVGVSTA, Diademed and mantled bust of Helena right.
    Reverse: SECVRITAS REIPVBLICAE, Securitas standing left holding branch and raising robe with right hand, DE in right field, SMANT in exergue
    RIC80

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    PeteB, chrsmat71, Ryro and 4 others like this.
  5. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Here's Theodora's husband : Constantius I. Antioch. Jupiter on reverse.

Costius I  Ant  Jupiter.jpg Costius I vic   Concord Mil.jpg

chrsmat71, Ryro, Bing and 2 others like this.
  6. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I imagine it was more of a dynastic move. Show your relatives, establish legitimacy, etc. Such a common theme with the Romans. Even in the Republican period many moneyers were constantly issuing coins with themes not just to people, but events as well.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

This is an enigmatic issue. The numismatic evidence (RIC viii, p. 79) indicates the series was initiated immediately after Constantine's death, before the massacre of most of Theodora's descendants during the interregnum of May-September, AD 337. This rules out that the issue was done as an act of contrition on the part of Constantine's three sons after the bloodshed. Sear (RCV v, p. 120) suggests that the issue was planned by Constantine I himself before his death as part of his plans for succession.

[​IMG]
    Helena, Augusta AD 324-228/30
    Roman billon reduced centenionalis; 1.24 g, 13.4 mm
    Trier, AD 337-340
    Obv: FL IVL HELENAE AVG
    diademed and draped bust, right
    Rev: PAX PVBLICA, Pax standing left, holding olive branch and transverse scepter; in exergue TR S
    Refs: RIC viii, p. 144, 78; LRBC I 119; Cohen 4; RCV 17492.

[​IMG]
    Theodora, Augusta posthumously (?)
    Roman billon reduced centenionalis; 1.42 g, 13.8 mm, 10 h
    Trier, AD 337-340
    Obv: FL MAX THEODORAE AVG, diademed and draped bust, right
    Rev: PIETAS ROMANA, Pietas standing facing, head right, holding infant; in exergue TR P (+/- palm branch; off the flan).
    Refs: RIC viii, p. 144, 79 or 91; LRBC I 120; Cohen 4; RCV 17500 or 17502.

chrsmat71, Ryro, Bing and 2 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice coins @gsimonel ... and great question!

Theodora
    [​IMG]
    RI Theodora AE 15 337-340 CE Pietas Romana S 3911

Helena
    [​IMG]
    RI Helena mother Constantine AE Follis Securitas Nicomedia mint 325-326 CE 19mm 3.3g RIC-95 Sear 16619

Fausta
    [​IMG]
    RI Fausta 325-326 CE AE3 Spes stdg 2 infants SMHA 20mm 3.48g scratch over eye

9. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

WoWiE! Theodora is known for her shabby coins. Yours is fantastic! Hey Doo is dynamic:artist:
    It's always a treat to check out and show off the ladies.
    Here's my much less fantastic Theodora the explorer and some of the other poor gals that hooked up with these Con-men shlubs:
    C3181B13-0FDC-4C8F-B40E-01E1D7C0B643.png Theodora
    (posthumous issue). Died before A.D. 337. Æ 4 (13.6 mm, 1.37 g, 12 h). Uncertain mint, Struck before April A.D. 340. FL MAX THEODORA AVG, laureate and draped bust right / PIETAS ROMANA·, Pietas standing facing, holding infant at her breast; [mintmark obscured]. Cf. RIC VIII 48, 56, 65, 79, 91; cf. LRBC 113, 120, 129. VF, rough, green patina. Scarce.
    9F097A9E-0DE3-4F31-B5EE-4262B176BED4.png Helena
    Augusta, AD 324-328/30. Æ Follis Heraclea mint, 2nd officina. Struck AD 329-330. Diademed and mantled bust right, wearing necklace / Securitas standing left, holding branch; SMHB·. RIC VII 85.
    2D5C2DC8-4DFA-4F97-B310-38387730F48D.png
    Fausta
    307-326 CE
    Follis 18 MM Thessalonika326/8. Av.: FLAV max FAVSTA avg, draped bust right. RV.: Spes rei PVBLICAE, Salus stands on the left holds two children. Ric: 161. F. Vzgl.

10. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Thanks Sallent, Ken D, and Roman Collector for the additional information. Nice coins, everyone!

Draft saved Draft deleted