Why the body bag?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mill rat41, Mar 12, 2009.

1. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

I bought this coin from a local dealer about 10 years ago and just recently submitted it. It came back from NGC as "improperly cleaned". The guy at the store examined it before I sent it in, and after it came back, and he couldn't find anything wrong with it. What did NGS object to? I hope these pics are good enough. Maybe I should stop spending so much on coins and buy a better camera.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Forgot your pics ,millrat:D

4. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

5. It looks like it may have been a jewelry piece at one point. Do you see the dark ring going across the left stars on the obverse?

It may not turn out to be a jewelry piece, but if it is, it was probably polished for jewelry's sake.

6. grizz

grizz numismatist

........i noticed the ring also. it may be time for another dealer.

7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Well since I am at work I can't see the pictures - but even the best dealers and most knowledgable have coins come back body-bagged. Who knows - submitting it to PCGS might get it back graded. Just a couple of comments - will have to wait until I see the pictures.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If that coin comes back slabbed - ever - I will have lost all faith in NGC. It is extremely obvious that the coin has been harshly cleaned.

And Mill Rat - do indeed find another dealer. Because if he can't tell with the coin in hand, you sure don't want to buy coins from him.

9. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

I can't believe that a dealer could not see in hand what I see in these pictures. I see harsh cleaning lines on the reverse over by the E Pluribus.... On the obv, you have the dark line which I agree looks like a mark from an old jewelry bezel and alot of vertical cleaning lines along the right edge by the stars. I am not talking a light cleaning here.

10. north49guy

north49guy Show me the Money

I agree, there is harsh cleaning especially visible on the stars on the right. Also the rim doesnt look too great either.

11. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Hmm, thanks guys. Live and learn. I do see the scratches on the reverse above the e pluribus unum and there seems to be an imprint on the back from the "bezel line" - from below United though Pl down to the branch.

12. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

More of the same right? I think I know the answer, though. Would this be considered whizzed?

[​IMG]

13. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

funny i never thought you an optimist type. i am really amazed that you still have faith in NGC :D

14. diocletian

diocletian Senior Member

Mill Rat, Your coin in post 11 is harshly cleaned not whizzed. Whizzing would be an attempt at removing those hair line scratches with say a dremmel.

15. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

Harshly cleaned. :( You can tell from all of those hairlines on the obverse.

Draft saved Draft deleted