Why such a big difference?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Steve66, May 19, 2016.

1. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

1874 F Wurttemberg 5 mark
    My catalog value for this coin in VF is $60. In XF it jumps to $900.
    Anyone know why is there such a big jump? Is it a condition rarity?

I'm thinking this one would grade VF... What do you think?
    O1.jpg R1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I think it's because of the age of the coin; not many in XF survived such a long period. I'd say that one is VF but question the obverse and if it was cleaned or why the strange coloring on the gentleman's face.

4. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

I'm not sure what the discoloration is. It could have been cleaned, but I cant see any major evidence of it. I have seen this before on coins that were glued to a display. The coins tone over time except under the glue.
    IMG_8877.jpg

Thanks for your input.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

In a nutshell, yes.

On another subject, but related, typically you shouldn't pay a whole lot of attention to values listed in catalogs like Krause as they are often wildly inaccurate in both directions. In this case however the values you provided seem to be fairly close to reality based on the actual realized prices I could find, which were few in number by the way.

Not that there were only a few examples of this coin to be found, on the contrary, there are lot of them. But the particular source that has the largest number of them listed requires one to be a paying member to get access to realized prices.

6. Dcordeiro

Dcordeiro Active Member

The 2016 German catalogue of German Coin (1871-Present) I just got in the mail today states:
    Mintage: 112.530 ex.

Values (€):
    S-30 SS-80 VZ-1000 ST-5000

Yours I would say is SS. It is clearly condition rarity that dictates value here.

7. GDJMSP

And those prices from that catalog, are what I was talking about above. They say ST is 5000 euro. But an ST example sold in March of this year brought only 800 euro.

upload_2016-5-20_11-32-3.png

8. Dcordeiro

Dcordeiro Active Member

The Auction house does not state the coin as ST, they say its VZ to ST and with minimal impacts/and or contact marks. It most probably was an AU (Sheldon grading system). So 800€ seems about right, specially if we take into consideration that price does not include buyers premium (around 23%).

9. GDJMSP

You're right, I should have said they called it VZ-ST, which relates to a US AU grade. Even so, that is a step above our XF which is the German VZ.

upload_2016-5-20_12-59-44.png

So if your catalog says VZ is worth a 1000, and ST 5000, then VZ-ST is substantially more than VZ. That's the only point I was making, that catalog values are rarely accurate.

Draft saved Draft deleted