Why some Vintage Silver Bars are more than others?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ROQ, Nov 17, 2016.

1. ROQ

ROQ New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Because some people will assign the concept of "collectibility" to just about anything, and bid without regard to actual worth. And, the fact that someone is asking a price doesn't mean they'll get the price.

Sometimes selling in this venue is a function of sheer luck - if you happen to get two bidders on your item who really want it, the price will go through the roof.

Takeaway: Don't assign strictly logical reasons to any of this. It'll end in frustration. :)

harrync, cpm9ball and spirityoda like this.
  4. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I know there is a small collector market for these. However, outside of that, I've seen thousands of silver bars come into my LCS and they fetch below melt everytime regardless of what is on them or how old they are.

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

because some people/collectors value the older bars beyond silver value itself. I see that a lot that at Vegas coin shows. I could see the value for the older ones, but not for the newer ones. unsuspecting people get lured into being told a story that these bars with be more collectible than other bars down the road. I hate to see people deceived like that. with enough experience in viewing older bars you can tell the difference in price right away. now a days hand poured bars are getting more money than the silver is actually worth. I myself really like the look of a hand poured silver bar, but do not want to shell out the extra money over the real silver value it is worth. it is a trade off. I leave it up to the people wanting what they want to do/buy. funny that you mention this because I myself was thinking of getting/buying the Perth Mint 10oz. bars simply because I really liked the look of them. but after discovering the cost over the actual silver price made me rethink it and not buy them. there are a lot of companies out there trying to make their silver rounds and bars look so amazing to get you to buy their products. most places that will buy your silver will only give you what silver is worth. unless you try and sell it on Ebay or other places... you might get more from buyers there.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  6. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Supposedly hand poured bars are harder to fake...

spirityoda likes this.
  7. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Why some Vintage Silver Bars are more than others?

Why are some Vintage Silver Coins more than others?

Same reason for both...collectors simply value some items higher than others.

spirityoda likes this.
  8. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Supply and demand.

Promotion has little to do with these items.

9. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

I bought this 10 oz. bar for two reasons: 1) I liked it, and 2) the history behind it. I apologize for the scan, but because of the toning I wasn't able to get a picture with the writing on it distinctive.

10 oz. US Assay bar #2.jpg 10 oz. US Assay bar #1.jpg

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I disagree with "promotion having nothing to do with it". some buyers like the look of certain bars and are willing to pay more than the silvers worth. other buyers could care less about what a bar looks like and just want it for the silver itself.

Draft saved Draft deleted