Why so much?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Onofrio Bacigalupo, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Onofrio Bacigalupo

Onofrio Bacigalupo Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That and it's on eBay.

Endeavor and Kentucky like this.
  5. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

The same reason that ANYTHING is priced the way it is...the seller hopes to find someone who will pay that amount.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Paul M. likes this.
  7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Easy. In 65 the price jumps to $2k ish and since it is a 64+ with decent toning he's trying to get between 64 / 65 money for it

Paul M., MKent and Insider like this.
  8. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

'Cause it's a morgan dolla' :yack:

Endeavor likes this.
  9. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

NGC 64+ might cross to PCGS at 65 and then you're upside right. Also some people place a huge premium an toning. I wouldn't call this one crappy myself and I wouldn't pay that price either.

Smojo likes this.
  10. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

This is merely an ask price, and has no reality attached to it. Only look at sold through results. And yes, toning is the current "fetische du jour".

MKent likes this.
  11. carpman98

carpman98 Active Member

Optimistic fishing on the part of the seller. Not an uncommon practice on eBay.

12. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Member

is it possible to have toning only on the face side of the coin and not the back...i have a 64 kennedy that way...if you think it worthy to discuss i will post pictures.

13. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Of coarse it is. There are many types of toning patterns caused by different storage methods. In fact, full coverage toning on both sides is a flag that says "look closer at me" over just one sided.

14. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Sorry to disagree with so many of you, but I actually think this is a pretty darned nice coin for the date, considering how few of this date are available attractively toned. The vast majority of coins of this date are white or whitish in color.

It has been on my watchlist for a few months now, and while I wouldn't pay the asking price, I have considered making an offer of a reasonable percentage off.

Still, I do feel there are better values out there, worthy of more of my attention.

ddddd and Cascade like this.
  15. SSG_Gonzo

SSG_Gonzo Well-Known Member

Heck if you going to spend that much I got one I can sell for a heck of a lot less lol.

16. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of toning, but in what way is this a "crappy coin?" As for why it's priced so high, I agree with all the other answers to the question. Note the "or best offer" indication. If you're interested in the coin, offer what you think is a reasonable selling price.

17. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Beats me.

This coin hammered for $940 at the Houston Money Show last December.

18. Onofrio Bacigalupo

Onofrio Bacigalupo Well-Known Member

Toning? It looks like somebody poured Clorox on it!

19. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

It's an attractive toner if you are into toning. But that price would scare me off.

20. ddddd

ddddd Member

I agree. It's a nice toned Morgan and a date that isn't quite common especially for toners. Get it into a 65 holder and one can make some money.

21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Come on man. You got some learnin' to do

SSG_Gonzo and BadThad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted