Why so little interest in CRHing Dimes?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by myownprivy, Dec 11, 2019.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Is it because their size makes them the hardest to rewrap?
    Is it because the silver content is the smallest of the silver containing coins?
    Is there just not as much numismatic interest in dimes compared to other denominations? Or is it just a coincidence that on Dec 11 2019 there are no dime threads on the first two pages and this is just an anomaly, a fluke, and people do actually CRH dimes often?

Arkos likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I did 4 boxes of dimes a week for about 6 months. Averaged 1 silver per box. Not worth the time or eye strain.

4. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

I CRH dimes quite often. In my experience, it is a mostly uneventful endeavor. I am not expecting to find any Mercs, let alone a silver Roosie...in fact, I don't recall finding any silver at all in a dime roll over the past 15 years.

I CRH for errors, varieties, and FT. Personally, I am amazed at how many of these newly stuck specimens are not even close to FT. In the past $200, more than half were uncirculated 2018/2019 mostly with mirror-like reflection. I only found two with FT.

Errors are mostly non-existent. But, I have found a number of RDV-002 transitions in the past three months: 4x 1970D and 1 1970.

I pull out for my coin folders as well...so pretty much uneventful. No RPMs, no doubled dies, no silver, rarely any FT...but I enjoy it...just nothing to see here...

5. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I did a box every now and then when I couldn't get anything else. Found one every now and then. I was like "Cool!", then "Meh...".

Very little bang for my buck, but good enough to do if I'm completely bored.

I actually enjoy cents or nickels more.

6. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

7. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Never had such luck for those @Heavymetal! Very nice!! icon_smile_thumbsup.gif

Heavymetal likes this.
  8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'll go along with "eyestrain" (and general aversion to ordering boxes of coins). I do check the ones I get in change, though, and I'd like to think I'd notice anything as pronounced as @Heavymetal's examples! All I see is silver once or twice a year and typical MAD strikes a good bit more frequently than that.

sergeant likes this.
  9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I used to hunt for silver dimes and found a few. It just got to tedious when it came down to it. I think you best bet is 50 cent pieces.

sergeant and TexAg like this.
  10. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

With all coins, people have become wise enough to detect the silver and pluck it out of circulation. I agree that halves are now more viable to hunt, mostly due to their irregular denomination, and people not being aware that 1965-1970 halves are also silver, though partially. Maybe it's just my personal experience, but, out of tens of quarter and dime rolls (including customer wrapped ones), I haven't found so much as a die chip, let alone silver coinage.

Draft saved Draft deleted