Why Self Checkouts Can Not Accept Halves

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Drago the Wolf, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Drago the Wolf

Drago the Wolf Junior Member

Hey,

I found out the reason why self checkouts, though a half will comfortably fit through its coin slot, the self checkout spits it back out in the reject tray, due to the fact that, the coin counter gets smaller as the coins go down the slot. There are no holes down in the machine big enough to fit a half.

I found this out when I went shopping with my mother, and she accidently put the grocery money in the coupon slot, instead of the money slot, and the manager had to come over and open up the machine to get the money out, so I asked him if the machines could just be programmed and a tube added to accept halves, and he apologized and told me about the coin counter issue and that they are not equipt to take halves.

I STILL think that ALL machines that take cash and are still being made for future use, should be made to accept halves. I do not care if some people do not like halves or $2 bills. I do not care about dollar coins, as we already have $1 bills that work just fine, but the 50 cent and $2 denominations SHOULD be circulated as any other denomination. I for one would rather carry one, less easier to lose half, and put two $2 bills in my wallet instead of stuffing it with up to four $1 bills at a time, at times.

There I go again. :dead-horse: :devil:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Are those little shopping cart seats comfortable?

4. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Good one.

I have found it annoying that the self checkout does not take halves. Not that big of deal though.

5. rickmp

You and Detecto must be of the same gene pool.

It is simply not cost effective to configure or re-configure these machines to accept half dollar coins, one dollar coins and two dollar notes.
    I'm sure that if you were to to pay for the re-configuration of these machines some retailers may consider doing it. Do you have the kind of money that that endeavor would cost?

I think that it was Albert Einstein that once said "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result".

6. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

explain further, with cited examples please.

7. omahaorange

omahaorange Active Member

I think the highlighted words says it all. I, for one, find the heavier coins are the first to slide out of my pocket and into the chair cushions when I sit down. I worry more about losing my wallet than the change, so I don't keep the bills there, but rather in the same pocket I keep my coins. You do realize, I'm sure, that no one is going to go to the trouble to redesign and re-manufacture vending machines just to satisfy your fantasy, don't you? :rolleyes:

8. omahaorange

omahaorange Active Member

I'll take this one. First, it would be extremely expensive, for all the millions of vending and coin machines out there, to remove the internal components (mechanical and electronic), replace and/or re-machine/reprogram them, and put them back. Redesigning new mechanisms is a waste of money, since the current designs conveniently accommodate 90% of the users.

Here's a vending machine seller. Take a look at costs, and profitability.

http://www.vencoavendingmachines.com/profitability_challenges.html

9. rickmp

Are you serious?

Do you think it could be done for free?

10. rickmp

99.999% is a more probable figure.

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The one line insults are getting really old. Please read the rules.

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's for the same reason that the automakers haven't converted to hydrogen-powered cars despite having the technology for more than 20 years. Greed! They want to milk the internal combustion engine for every last cent, and the vending machine manufacturers don't want to spend millions of dollars to re-tool their entire operation for a coin that doesn't even circulate.

I grew up in the 50's & 60's, and the half dollar didn't circulate then, nor did the vast majority of vending machines accept the half dollar. And, since someone mentioned the fact that they prefer $1 or $2 notes instead of the new dollar coins, I'd much rather see the government scrap notes of $1, $2, $5, & $10 denominations in lieu of coins of similar denominations. We're being taxed to death as it is, and why should they keep throwing (our!) money into the firepit? Circulated paper money usually lasts less than 18 months as opposed to coins which can last 30+ years. Who says that the coins have to be large and heavy? They can be any size that Congress wants to make them, and they can use lightweight metals like aluminum instead.

Why will this never happen, you may ask? Because the manufacturers providing the current technology would be up in arms, and the last thing any politician wants to do is "bite the hand that feeds them"!

Chris

13. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I haven't had issues with $2 bills in those checkout machines - they even credit them accordingly for $2.

14. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

There will always be those in the minority (who love halves and $2) who want to inflict their will on the majority (those that go through life paying for stuff just fine and don't really care about halves and $2). They whine and cry about it online and often use all caps to express their frustration. It's par for the course of any online coin forum. Just smile and nod while they get their knickers all in bunch and put on their show.

Its just a lonely man's cry for attention. Next?

15. elijahhenry10

elijahhenry10 New Member

I actually saw on one tv show that the average one dollar bill's life is only 2 months. Look how old the average coin you find is? 10 or 20 years probably.

16. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

I don't think so and the thread was started by Drago... chill out.

17. camlov2

camlov2 Member

I have used a $2 bill in an automatic checkout, no problem here.
    It looks like the only issue here is the half dollar. However the issue is not the machine but the fact that we are still producing them.

18. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I found a 2011-D in a roll search the other day - I only look for silver, but I thought a sold in bags and sets only coin was a decent find. Otherwise I have nothing to do with halves.

19. rickmp

Chill out?

Drago has started 119 threads, and, if I had to guess, conservatively, at least 100 of them are some variation of this same subject.

20. elijahhenry10

elijahhenry10 New Member

Wow, he's almost caught up to Detecto. Except Detecto tries to stick with one subject.

21. camlov2

camlov2 Member

I checked. 20 of his last 25 threads dealt with either Halves, dollar coins, or 2 dollar bills (the non-circulating coins in circulation).

rickmp, lets try and make your estimates more accurate in the future. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted