Why PCGS is better than NGC

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Long Beard, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

An expert by no means, there is no way the following would grade a 66 at PCGS. A 65, maybe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1858-Seate...917659?hash=item469f746b1b:g:g5wAAOSwbEFdpgrn

Looking beyond the less than attractive mottled toning, the obverse is close but quite possibly concealing flaws. The reverse, however, lacks full detail of both upper leaves. The "E" in ONE has a dig in the top bar. Between the upper two leaves there is a pit in the field. The lower right leaf lacks full separation. The bow is questionable. Again, this has the diagnostics of a 64 maybe 65.

Compared with the 4 graded by PCGS it is perfectly clear how badly NGC missed the mark on this one. What surprises me is that the seller hopes to get what this coin sold for graded properly.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I think it is completely unreasonable to judge that coin based on those pictures, and even more unreasonable to make a sweeping judgement about Pcgs vs Ngc based on that one coin.

To be fair, the pictures on Heritage and the NGC lookup are not much better - it seems nobobdy has been able to really capture this coin. None of these pictures can be accurately graded from:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/seated-dim...7-3583.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4252965-006/66/

The only thing I feel confident saying about that coin, based on what I can find, is that price seems optimistic by a few hundred dollars. And I'd say the same thing if it wore blue plastic instead of white.

4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I can play the game too! Why NGC is better than PCGS:

6E8D22B4-CDCF-4EC0-8683-CAC682B7B465.jpeg 60BC39B3-418D-4786-AE56-643777C0191D.jpeg F9DF618C-32E2-4F3E-8BE1-1796E6F60EC5.jpeg

The takeaway: this is a useless exercise.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I think both grading services are equally good, but I prefer PCGS. Not because it's better, but because I'm a nut for the packaging.

Mainebill likes this.
  6. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Jaelus and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Amen to this. Everything has been said. Let’s stop here... or let’s post some overgraded/damaged/cleaned PCGS+CAC coins lol

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Just watch that coin on ebay and I bet it will never sell. It's fun to watch them re-list over and over again.
    (I don't agree with your title though)

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I won't judge the coin from those images. It could look really different in hand. Either way, nothing says that an ugly coin can't grade 66.

TypeCoin971793 and Jaelus like this.
  10. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Physics.Fan. You excuse yourself as not an expert - and we grant that easily. Then, you presume to pass judgment on those who are. And that can be acceptable if you have objective standards of proof. Those who are experts agree that grading is an art, not a science. The experts agree that the art of grading requires having the coin in hand under an incandescent light.

If you do not like the coin, do not buy the coin. It starts and ends there.

11. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Well, Mike, there's one more step - put the idjit on ignore.

green18 and furham like this.
  12. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I could start up a grading company and grade it 63/64 would that make me better?

13. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

stop drinking the kool aid, this isn't the pcgs forums

Derek2200, micbraun and furham like this.
  14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

PCGS and NGC both do a fine job with grading as a whole. Period. You can try to make an issue out of one coin all day long. It proves absolutely nothing.

15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Anecdotal examples are absolutely worthless for demonstrating the quality of a grading service, and this isn't even that. It's an assertion made from a bad picture of a coin on eBay.

16. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

I could care less about EITHER grading service as long as they are CONSISTENT in their grading. Unfortunately, I think both NGC/PCGS have let their grades creep upwards over time, e.g. gradeflation.

I know myself and various others on the Coin Talk website were pissed off at NGC for a couple of years ago disallowing new PCGS slabbed coins to be included in their Registry sets. Before that my purchases were roughly 1/4 - 1/3 NGC slabs. I know that when the disallowing occurred, many of us went strictly to PCGS slabs. In total it must have put an "Owwee" on NGC purchases because NGC recently backtracked on allowing new PCGS slabbed coins on their Registry. It's interesting to see how NGC tries to spin it after their comments X years ago when they disallowed PCGS slabbed coins.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7753/

17. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

It amazes me how NGC takes criticism for doing something good for their customers.

Paul M., micbraun and Mkman123 like this.
  18. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

It's because they did something so, so bad for their customers. And now this "good" thing is just reversing their bad thing, without any acknowledgment of having done a bad thing. It's like they just reversed their bad thing and now they want praise for it.

They aren't a puppy. I'm not going to praise them for not peeing on the floor.

19. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

People keep complaining about the changes made years ago instead of just being happy that NGC reverted them. I also don’t see why they should acknowledge a mistake. Maybe they made quite some money with crossovers...?

C-B-D and furham like this.
  20. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

21. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

I am glad they changed their position, but I agree with what @physics-fan3.14 says.

Also if NGC made good money I STRONGLY suspect they wouldn't have changed their position back. My best guess is they realized their business decision was a bad one. I know lots of people who cracked their NGC slabs to move them over to the PCGS Registry. I know of only 1 person who cracked their PCGS slabs to go to the NGC Registry.

Draft saved Draft deleted