Why oh why would someone do this ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bear32211, Feb 14, 2016.

1. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

front peace.jpg 1921 peace back.jpg I bought this 1921 Peace for a low price. I know there are marks on the coin but why would someone damage such a nice piece ? Overall condition of the obverse and reverse are good. I'm thinking either the "44" means the date it was in their possession or it was their IQ. But interesting none the less. Have any of you purchased coins like this only to learn the history of why they were desecrated in such a way ? Just curious.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Track down "J.W." (On Liberty's face) and ask why they did what they did.

bear32211 likes this.
  4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Why do some billion/millionaires wipe their butts with hundreds?

A) Because they can

Alegandron, bear32211 and furryfrog02 like this.
  5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Probably done by some young kid when the coin was circulating . But who knows !!!!!

bear32211 likes this.
  6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Ignorance!

7. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the 44 is their IQ

8. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Looks like something I definitely would have done when I was 9 years old. I put my name or initials on my bike, my glove, bat, toy trucks, etc.... I know, it's crazy. But it was New York. Kids would steal your stuff in a NY minute!

green18, Blissskr and Cascade like this.
  9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

What about your underwear :wacky:

TJ1952 likes this.
  10. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Maybe JW was born in 1921 and landed on Normandy Beach in 1944 for the liberation of France--LIBERTY 44.

Amos 811, TJ1952 and bear32211 like this.
  11. bear32211

If a Peace Dollar could talk, oh the story it could tell !

12. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Just be happy yougotone

13. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I see what could be 3 sets of initials on it. In 1944 it was worth a dollar and they probably did not care about any numismatic future value. An heck maybe they were war buddies or something to that effect, or even their version of a short snorter. I think I might go put my initials on a state quarter so in 50-70 years someone can ask the same question - then they can wonder about my initials. :) Actually sounds like fun.

Coinlover67, TJ1952 and bear32211 like this.
  14. bear32211

Great banter. You know I've tried using GOOGLE, the great find it all and guess what I found......................................nothing, yet .

15. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

OOOH - lets all scratch our initials in something modern not valuable - like cent, nickel or quarter. Then turn them loose in change and see if any of us find them. Like looking for a needle in a hay stack. :)

Coinlover67 likes this.
  16. bear32211

Following up on this '21 here are my own pictures of the damage to the Peace. As with environmental damage, corrosion and so on, to you all how much does this effect the coin ? The initials WFH 44, JWC and BCD. I hate to see them but man the price was right to me to buy it. You know the back is not too bad but....value ? DSC00196 (2).JPG DSC00197 (2).JPG DSC00199 (2).JPG

17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Around $40 imo. Unfortunately this one is nothing more than a hole filler until the $ comes for an upgrade and for around $60 someone could get one without distracting graffiti

If it were mine it'd be a new pocket piece. Not to try to wear it down but to have a 21 peace in my pocket :)

bear32211 likes this.
  18. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Whaaaaat, doesn't everybody number their coins?

19. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

That's what I was thinking. Maybe they were war buddies.

bear32211 likes this.
  20. bear32211

I thought that right off the bat, how cool to know three friends went to fight a war, stayed together, carved their initials in the piece and maybe all got out alive, maybe not.

21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

So this would be the coin version of a short snorter huh. That'd be cool if it was able to be proven. Oh well

bear32211 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted