Why isn't this a MS 65?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LuxUnit, Jun 30, 2019.

1. LuxUnit

LuxUnit Well-Known Member

Why isn't this coin an MS65, bare minimum it should be a 64.

Take I'll look at the trueviews, form an opinion and then look at the spoiler before you comment!

I photoshopped the image, enlarged the marks, and sharpened those areas to make them more prominent. Even with this I don't think it looks any less than 64!

IMG_20190614_120305_01 (1).jpg

Ike Skywalker, Trimbit and LA_Geezer like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Can't really see what is going on with the obverse. The hits in the fields of the reverse, held it to a lower grade. I don't see it as a 64.

4. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Looks like quit a few hits, throat, cheek, jaw, a lot of chatter in the fields on the rev.

Stevearino, masterswimmer and LuxUnit like this.
  5. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The toning is beautiful, and it is a premium coin. However, under the toning are numerous bagmarks, in the left side fields, and on the cheek. The reverse has bag marks around the devices, limiting the grade to 63, max. That is why it does not make gem grade, despite eye appeal.

6. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Toning, although pretty, tends to hide flaws. This coin has chatter in the reverse fields, but there is also a fairly big hit on the cheek that might not look as severe as it might be in hand because of the toning. I also see some chatter behind Liberty's head - again, in a toned area.

7. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

Not my series... but what a beauty. I think they'd have let anything on the obverse slide for 65 w/ that eye appeal, but too much going on as everyone's suggested (reverse fields).

LuxUnit likes this.
  8. Islander80-83

IMG_20190614_120305_01 (1).jpg
    Plus a few more not indicated here.

Santinidollar, imrich and LuxUnit like this.
  9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's a really pretty coin.

longshot and LuxUnit like this.
  10. LuxUnit

I don't feel like the marks are that prominent, I had to Photoshop the image to make most of them visible. Even then it still looks better than these three 65's in my opinion.
    @Islander80-83 and others did you read the spoiler that says I photoshopped the marks to make them more prominent? Here's the original as well. The marks are there but not very prominent . IMG_20190614_120305_01.jpg

Screenshot_20190630-204804~2.png Screenshot_20190630-204938~2.png Screenshot_20190630-204942~2.png Screenshot_20190630-205004~2.png Screenshot_20190630-205007~2.png

Islander80-83 likes this.
  11. LuxUnit

Thank you, I love it. I just feel it's undergraded ha

12. Islander80-83

I do see your side of the argument. Still a beautiful coin! icon_smile_thumbsup.gif

LuxUnit likes this.
  13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Stop drinkin' the bloody Kool Aide..........

14. LuxUnit

I guess in the end of the day the grade difference is only $60 bucks and the number on the slab doesn't change the coin so I should be happy with it regardless! And I am, I just think it's so great in hand I can't believe it's not better than 63 lol

15. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The cheek has too many little hits to qualify as an MS-65. Your other examples only prove that grade-flation is alive, well and spreading. When I was a dealer, I sold many common date MA-64 graded Morgan Dollars that were as good as those pieces.

16. LuxUnit

mmmMMMMMMM strawwwberrryyy... :zombie::zombie:

Cheech9712 and slackaction1 like this.
  17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Why isn't this a MS 65?

Simple answer, because the coin is an '82-S. All of the early S mint Morgans are held to a much stricter standard when grading them, they always have been. In other words, if that same coin had a different mint mark it almost certainly would have received a higher grade than it did.

18. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

MS63, The other 3 are MS64.

LuxUnit likes this.
  19. John Dunkle

John Dunkle New Member

I dont see a thing wrong with it. Beautiful toneing and every hair and feather is crisp and clear.

LuxUnit likes this.
  20. LuxUnit

I always forget to consider this.

21. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I'm glad some people like that toning. I'll take a little, maybe, but to me, this one is just too much and I think it's ugly. IMHO

Magnus87 and coinsareus10 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted