Why Is This Lucky?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Jersey magic man, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I found this bill in circulation. Looks like the signature is Marly. Does anyone happen to know who signed this bill, and/or what significance the year 1962 might have? I wonder if someone was selling these back then.

signed dollar.jpg

NOS, SteveInTampa and Legomaster1 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Looks like maybe a promotion of sorts.

Kinda cool.

4. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Out of curiosity, did you recently find this note in circulation? Was it at a bank? If you recently found it what likely happened was the original and contemporary owner of the note died and then the heir(s) found and spent it.

5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Looks like 'Charles' to me.

6. jonathan layne

jonathan layne Well-Known Member

it might have been an autograph of someone that the current owner liked and the bill was the only thing that the person had. i dont know of anyone famous with the name marly though

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

This bill would still be in circulation in 1962 so it was probably a promotional bill for a local business somewhere. It's different and neat.

9. Jersey magic man

I actually got this in a strap of $1 a few years back at a bank. I can understand someone signing a bill for a friend, or maybe a lost bet, but to have "Lucky 1962 Buck" stamped on it kinda feels like some sort of promotion.

Stevearino likes this.
  10. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

My thoughts

11. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Looks like Wally. Any guesses at what it means are just that. My guess is that it relates to New Years. Either a business promotion or a party favor.

12. Mernskeeter

Mernskeeter Active Member

It may have been a symbolic "payment" of a close friend or family member to a newly opened business to serve as a salutation or benediction. Signed by the donors in ball point pen and hung somewhere near the cash register is said to bring good luck and to keep the money flowing.
    The practice is said to be from Korean or Chinese origin.

Stevearino and Collecting Nut like this.
  13. Jersey magic man

Thanks for all the thoughts and opinions. I guess we will never know unless some others surface with known history.

Draft saved Draft deleted