Why is there no mintmark on West Point minted pennies from 1974-1986?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bugo, Oct 13, 2014.

1. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Billions of pennies were minted at the West Point mint from 1974 to 1986. Unfortunately, they didn't have a mintmark. Why didn't they put a W mintmark on these coins? There has to be a reason. Were they afraid of hoarding of these pennies, especially in the first couple of years they were minted?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

That would be a great guess. I did not even know about it till last year. It was on this forum that I learned that the 96W dime was not the first modern coin minted there.

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

They may have thought it was not worth the cost of having a mintmark.

5. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

They were looking forward to THIS DAY when we would make a thread on CoinTalk about it.

This is their signal to begin the takeover by the Illuminati. We're in deep trouble now.

Endeavor likes this.
  6. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I would expect that a mint mark was not included because the West Point Facility was never considered a mint or a Branch Mint. It was originally a Silver Bullion Repository.

However, during the mentioned years, over flow coinage was in fact produced but it was produced as a "subset" to the Philadelphia Production. Much the same as the Silver Eagle over flow which also, does not have a mint mark even though its produced at a facility which "traditionally" puts mint marks on their products.

From the US Mint Web Page:

"The red letter date for West Point was March 31, 1988, when it gained official status as a United States Mint."

A Mint Mark is provided for West Point Production today but ONLY for Collector Coins.

7. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

My guess is the Mint doesn't want their "Special" and "Limited" collector coins from losing exclusivity and value.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The major reason West point was even making cents during that period was to bring up production because demand was outpacing the current production capacity at the other mints. If they had put a W mintmark on the coins there would have been added hoarding demand for the "new W coins" which the exact opposite of what they wanted.

9. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Not that I don't believe you... but do you have a source for this?

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Common sense and historical precedent.

Common sense - Denver and Philly could not produce enough cents to meet demand, that's why West Point was utilized. Considering that this started in '74, and since the govt. publicly stated that "collectors" were the reason for the coin shortages in the '60s, then it stands to reason that the govt. would have been worried about more shortages if a coin with new mint mark suddenly appeared.

The WP coins were being produced because they were needed, so anything that might cause them to be pulled from circulation was considered a danger to fulfilling that need. Thus, no mint mark.

Historical precedent - prior to recent years the mint had a long standing but unwritten policy of making a point of NOT producing a rarity, any rarity, or any coin that might be perceived to be a rarity. So they would take steps to ensure that did not happen.

11. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Most of the '74-S cents were actually mixed with Denver mint coins to be released in an attempt to foil hoarders. It worked reasonably well.

12. Ethan

All good reasons...so my 1974-W cent is worthless eh?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

As worthless as your post.

14. Ethan

Come on, where is your sense of humor. I thought the subject was neat as I never knew about the West Point Mint doing pennies. I thought it would be neat to see what one would look like. Man I tell you what, some folks in here are way to uptight...first get slammed for posting about a DD and then this.....

bugo likes this.
  15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

16. Ethan

Fair enough, sometimes I just can not tell........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  17. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Cents were also minted in SF after 1974, but without the mintmark. And I remember vaguely the whole save the S mintmarked cents thing - because I did and still do.

18. Ethan

I also did this when I was a kid...that is till I looked at mintage numbers....I still see them in circulation. I think I might start saving them...

Draft saved Draft deleted