Why is PCGS so hard on the 1920 Saint?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by St Gaudens collector, Jul 3, 2018.

1. St Gaudens collector

St Gaudens collector Active Member

I'm on to the 1920 now & see coins that are one grade lower than they look quite often.
    The 1912 has nearly the same grade population as the 1920 and appears over graded a lot.

What gives?
    What is PCGS's record for regrade from MS63 to MS64?

I bought a coin that I wouldn't normally look at because it was a MS63.
    (Don't have it yet)

BTW...1st post and I'm trying to put together a -6 date collection of Saints averaging MS 65.5
    (For non-Saint collectors, It's one of each date regardless of mint & not including "The-Hole", "Three Sisters", "Crash Coin" or the "Secret Service Invite")

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Welcome in the neighborhood, St Gaudens collection.
    I made my own experiences in this series.
    Actually I own just four pieces.
    The 1920 ist very taff in 64 and especially in 65. Good Luck in finding one!!

imrich likes this.
  4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

The 1920 is a date targeted by most dealers for attempts at upgrading coins that fall just shy of gem. This is a date which seldom comes lustrous enough to justify a gem grade, and when it does it is usually banged up enough to be disqualified.

St Gaudens collector likes this.
  5. St Gaudens collector

It seems strange because it's 64+ looking in condition but otherwise sort of uninteresting.

I would normally have passed on a 63 but it looks pretty nice.
    Not a high rez pic but I think you can see what I'm talking about. 20stgp3obv_78139.jpg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. St Gaudens collector

Here is a 1912 MS64+ very similar to mine that looks about same as the 1920...Or not?
    What is your opinion?
    1abd61eb3f9d46ec8454bb26f26a0837.png

charlietig likes this.
  7. St Gaudens collector

Here is a 1920 MS64 I'd grade as a 65. 00000.jpg

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

While they don't give the reverses enough respect in grading (and they should, and I like the reverse of the coins) please show both sides of your coins.
    The last photo, post #6 seems very nice. I agree on the 65.
    As for the other two, I do see a difference between them, with the 63 showing more bag marks than the 64+.

Two Dogs likes this.
  9. St Gaudens collector

Not my coin but here it goes.
    hhhhh.jpg

charlietig and Michael K like this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Is it possible that that hit on the sun is worse than it looks in this image?

11. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

They graded this coin conservatively for a good reason . . . It is a much tougher date.

12. St Gaudens collector

I had to think about this for a bit.
    This is apparently a coin with exceptional luster.

And then I found this. (go to 4:08)

Apparently PCGS assigns 15% weight to this during grading & poor examples of luster will not grade above MS63 regardless of condition.

This now makes sense to me after hearing what ToughCOINS had to say about the mintage year of 1920.
    I had assumed that all Saints had an equal distribution of luster characteristics throughout.

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Back in '05 there was a study done on Saints. It separated the coins into 3 groups, common dates, scarce dates, and rare dates. It then ranked those coins based on grade and value within their respective groups.

Back then, the 1920 fell into the 1st group - common dates. It ranked #4 (meaning 4th lowest at 3,525) in the total number graded MS64 within its group; it ranked #1 based on CDN Ask of $3,500 (meaning highest value) in regards to value within its group, again among all those graded MS64. And it also ranked #1 for those graded MS65, again based on CDN Ask of $32,000, within that group, and only 1 coin was graded 65 with none higher.

Now since then things have changed somewhat. If you look at the current PCGS pop charts you'll see that 1,016 have been graded MS64 with 83 more graded 64+. And today there are only 2 graded MS65 with none higher.

And while I'm not going to do all the math to separate out the coins in the various groups today as compared to those in the same groups back then, you can see at glance that things have changed there as well. Coins that used to be in group 1, 2, or 3 are now in different groups. That's largely because today they have graded twice as many Saints as they had graded back then, just barely over 500,000 then to well over a million of them today. And that kind of jives with the change in pop numbers, but it does not take into account the change in grading standards. Nor am I going to research current values as anyone can do that for themselves.

That said, the number of 1920 Saints graded MS65, then and now, speaks volumes ! The coins in that quality simply don't exist for that date. It's because coins of that date have low quality of luster and are plagued with contact marks.

People who know coins know all these things, have known 'em for many, many years. It's information like this that makes the coin market what it is. But the average collector, well they usually don't know all these things. And that's why it's so imperative that one studies, hard and long, because that's what it takes if one wishes to understand the coin market.

edit
    @St Gaudens collector - if you'd like, I'd be happy to share that study with you. Simply contact me via Private Message, which you can see how to do easily by clicking on my avatar.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  14. St Gaudens collector

Thank you!
    I'd also like a book recommendation if you have one.

This luster issue has never popped up before.
    I started with the best 1907 I could afford and moved on to the next later date.
    When i got to 1912, I could only get a 64+ because the MS65 was too expensive.
    I just picked the the prettiest coin graded at least MS65 and relied on PCGS to keep me from making a mistake.
    When a bunch of cheap MS63 coins looked better in a picture than my expensive 1912 MS64+, I kinda freaked out. (the reason for this post)

It should be smooth sailing for me from 1922 to the crash coin with all being MS66 or better.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

16. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Sub par luster will definitely rightfully so limit the grade I think ToughCoins nailed that in this case.

A series like 3 cent silver coins where the strike and surfaces all look very similar luster is about the only thing differentiating the gem +s and lower MS coins.

Personally I'll take a coin loaded with contact marks but with blazing luster over a contact free dull coin.

17. St Gaudens collector

Book ordered and PM sent.
    Thank you for the recommendation.

18. St Gaudens collector

The 1920 MS63 is on the way and I'm rather curious about its luster or lack thereof.
    Everything I have so far exhibits wagon-wheel characteristics so it will be an interesting coin to compare.

I'll post my findings after receiving it.

IBetASilverDollar likes this.
  19. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Good luck!

20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Cart wheel?
    I guess that's the same thing, half a dozen of one, six of the other.
    Some people get their pop in a sack, and others their soda in a bag.

21. St Gaudens collector

Cart-wheels are for smaller coins.
    These are Wagon-Wheels!

Check this video out (full screen it & do what it instructs you to do)

Serious MS70 Saint Gaudens 20$ gold kind of trippy.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted