Why is it the ones we love the most that we hurt most? Ancient cleaning admission #49,532, #49,533 &

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

What ancient carved figure is in the first few frames of Hurt?

...Aaaand why do I flirt with ancient coin cleaning?!?!:confused:
    I'll show you why... and why I shouldn't in three new* (slightly used) coins that I tried to help on their way through eternity after I'm gone.
    1st: as you can see, a lovely toned RR... with horn silver:facepalm:
    I tried to get rid of the horn silver, but feel I've now just got an shiny coin...I don't like shiny coins:yawn: but I do like more details and less scratches:
    1160790_1588454565-removebg-preview.png
    Collage_2020-07-04_19_57_32-removebg-preview.png
    P. PLAUTIUS HYPSAEUS
    Denarius (57 BC). Rome. Obv: S C / P VPSAE. Draped bust of Leuconoë right; to left, dolphin swimming right. Rev: C VPSAE COS / PRIV / CEPIT. Jupiter, holding reins and preparing to hurl thunderbolt, driving quadriga left; below horses, scorpion right. Crawford 420/2c. Condition: very fine. Weight: 3.58 g. Diameter: 17,30 mm.
    Ex: Ares

Next, a lady I may prefer with her makeup on. I did distilled water and scrub, then Verdi care soak n scrub.
    One objective was to hopefully be able to identify the countermark:
    1160623_1588454470-removebg-preview.png share5893888386268794718.png
    Septimius Severus
    CAPPADOCIA. Caesarea-Eusebia. (193-211). Ae.
    Obv: AY KAI Λ CEΠTI CEOYHPOC.
    Laureate head right. Unknown CM below chin
    Rev: MHTPOΠO KAICAPIAC.
    Mount Argaeus on altar inscribed ET IΓ.
    Sydenham 428.
    16,13 gr 27,60 mm
    Ex: Ares

any suggestions on how to get the really tough deposits without removing the patina?

20200704_160443.jpg
    Any idea what that counter mark might be?

And lastly, one that I am quite happy with the results.
    I bought this hot little mess for 10 eur. Slightly cleaned up and I prefer her to the 68 eur one I bought from Nomos.
    I could've kept going but didn't want to take off to many of the years:artist:
    3SJl.gif

You can now see the helmet, star, t and crescent much better:
    1161205_1588454787-removebg-preview.png share483778469964319856.png
    Bohémond III,
    CRUSADERS. Antioch. 1163-1201. Denier (Silver, 18.5 mm, 0.92 g, 12 h). +BOAMVNDVS Helmeted bust of Bohémond to left, between crescent and star. Rev. +ANTIOCHIA around cross pattée, with crescent in upper right quarter. CCS 67. Metcalf, Crusades 380. Wäckerlin 142. Toned. Some striking flatness, otherwise, good very fine. Ex Ares

Thoughts, Recommended cleaning methods, guesses, corrections, similar types or whatever floats your boat and doesn't rock mine :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Man, @Ryro , you know me about cleaning coins. I NEVER do it... UNLESS, I really want to do a professional job.

Otherwise, I just...don't...mess...with...it.

upload_2020-7-5_0-9-39.png

4. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Ryro, try sodium thiosulphate (anhydrous) on the horn silver (just search for horn silver on CT to find an elaboration and explanation by me). Works brilliant.

Ryro likes this.
  5. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

How did you treat the horn silver? For tough corrosion on bronze coins, I use metal de-corroder, also sodium sesquicarbonate of course and mechanical removal by razor and/or wire brush, minimally as possible

Ryro likes this.
  6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

That's just what I did. Even looked up your post to make sure I was doing it righ:happy:

Roman Collector likes this.
  7. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

I've posted several 'how-to's :
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/effect-of-sodium-thiosulphate-on-horn-silver.349346/ (this one contains a cool GIF showing the effect of sodium thiosulphate on horn silver live!)
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/cleaning-a-septimius-severus-denarius.350901/#post-3909382
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/what-happened-to-this-coin.346952/#post-3715319

However, I aimed to write a comprehensive mini-rewiew / guide on restoring horn silvered coins, but never really finished it.
    Horn silver-1.jpg Horn silver-2.jpg Horn silver-3.jpg Horn silver-4.jpg Horn silver-5.jpg Horn silver-6.jpg

Curtisimo, Broucheion, PeteB and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted