Why is it so strict to metal detect?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Shrews1994, Dec 26, 2018.

1. jcm

jcm Active Member

When I regraded my yard a few years ago, I let one of the guys I work with go over it with his metal detector. Didn't find anything good. Just an old iron and some nails. House is from 1893, which isnt too old considering that around the corner are two from the 1680's.

Shrews1994 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

A permit? I'll have to do this. I'm just wanting to know so I won't get into allot of trouble. I didn't know it was like this and I dug around a school built in 1886.... I didn't even ask.... It's seems more strict in Michigan. I'm now knowing more about it.

4. Shrews1994

im wanting to look through parks and the beaches. Not to much construction sites.

5. Shrews1994

I won't ever look through private property. Lol

6. Shrews1994

Okay thank you. I'm just wanting to know more about what I'm doing and know what I'm doing.

7. Shrews1994

Yes I know that. I just don't want to get in trouble cause I don't know what I'm doing...

8. Shrews1994

I wasn't thinking about detecting anyone's home. To shy to ask if u can search around there home. Might get someone not having a good day.

9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Around my place most of the small country homes have fishing ponds. My son is an avid fisherman. He will knock on a persons door and offer to trim the shrubs or cut their grass for the opportunity to fish their pond. I don't believe he has ever been turned down.... Now I'm not saying you have to offer labor in return for access to prime detecting ground. But I think you will be surprised what a little grace and a warm smile will get you. Just be gracious when you knock on a person's door. Most folks welcome a kind face.

Mainebill and Nyatii like this.
  10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I used to have a friend that bought the salvage rights to demo old houses. He would call me when they got to leveling the dirt. Found a lot of old change. It was fun but never found anything of value.
    In my area we can search city property but need a permit to search state property.
    I was ask to leave a school yard once. I knew I was legal but did not care to argue the point. In todays times, the police will ask you to leave school grounds on school days. I fully understand why they do this.

Mainebill, Shrews1994 and paddyman98 like this.
  11. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

So....I guess I will have to put to rest my old childhood saying....
    "Finders, keepers, losers, weepers".........

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

When it comes to metal detecting, yes.

Shrews1994 likes this.
  13. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

In many states, but not all, ocean beaches are fair game.

Nebraska? Not s'much.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Shrews1994, Nyatii and paddyman98 like this.
  14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I love all NY Beaches!
    Message_1501326902784.jpg Message_1501333305585.jpg 20171125_065804.jpg

15. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

[​IMG]

Shrews1994 and V. Kurt Bellman like this.
  16. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

No foreman will risk a law suit if you get hurt by their equipment. Rarely do they say anything even if they know you are searching their site as long as you do it on days where they don't operate or before and after they are working. I've followed that simple rule of thumb since 1958 with no problems. Private property without ongoing construction is another matter and should never be searched without permission in writing. To avoid complications stay off federal or state lands.

Shrews1994 likes this.
  17. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

Detecting is alot of common Sense, where I'm from beaches are allowed and most parks etc, usually there are signs posted as to what activities are allowed, I also frequent town halls; you can check the different departments. When detecting private property i am honest and very clear what i will and won't be doing, homeowners are concerned about damage from digging.
    Just remember when in doubt don't.

Shrews1994 likes this.
  18. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

A lot of people will happily grant you permission if you’re respectful of their property and just ask. A lot of old houses around me and old foundations are great too

Shrews1994 likes this.
  19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I have seen a crew in the city park where I sometimes walk in early morn with large shovels and uncovered holes in the grass, especially after events in the park and when I get back to the car, call the cops. Newer owners sometimes do not think about what they are doing. The old open bleachers high school football fields are great if they let you. Jim

20. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

You are correct in your statement. I usually sign a paper I made up stating the construction company will not be liable for any injuries I may receive and that I have permission to be there. We each get a copy. These are for fenced off areas. I don't hunt when crews are working. As far as other sites, I've had more problems with nosey neighbors than property owners. Keep your coil to the soil.

21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted