Why is He So Popular?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by toned_morgan, Jan 18, 2019.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

As it is for everything in this hobby.

baseball21 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

Actually, he IS the final say-so on ANYTHING involving ANA exhibiting. That's the job he was given. He appoints all judges, class and B-I-S. And all appeals are before him ALONE.

baseball21 likes this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

No it's not. I am not a fan of the ANA but the ANA's position will without question absolutely 100 percent hold FAR more weight in a court of law

5. V. Kurt Bellman

It surely has in every numismatically related court case in modern history. They (ANA staff) are ROUTINELY admitted in court as expert witnesses.

6. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

When the ANA can manage its own internal affairs effectively and avoid its own legal quagmires/litigation, perhaps other will care more what it thinks. What happened to the days when the ANA fought imitation numismatic items that were not marked? It appears the ANA is now in bed with Carr (metaphorically speaking). Aren't there ANA field trips to his "operation?"

7. V. Kurt Bellman

Such as? There ARE NO legal cases open either BY the ANA, nor AGAINST THEM! They are fully out of court on all issues. You should HAVE such a quagmire.

baseball21 likes this.
  8. baseball21

Which I have no problem with as that is a perfectly suitable role for them and something they should absolutely be used for. But some peoples feelings are closed to logic and reason

9. V. Kurt Bellman

I am routinely seated with the ANA counsel at the banquets. We talk. I bring the wine, CTers bring the "whine".

10. baseball21

It's always such a small group that's opposed to him, but they are so vocal on all forums that it seems much more widespread than it really is.

11. V. Kurt Bellman

They're just whipped/butthurt because they didn't think of Dan's gig first.

TopcatCoin likes this.
  12. EyeAppealingCoins

That's because they deal with everything in a confidential settlement. The ANA is a train wreck.

13. baseball21

It'd be easier to have a conversation if they would frame their feelings with things like "I think it should be" or "I don't like it" as opposed to acting like its so ambiguous almost a decade later

14. V. Kurt Bellman

Ask me to choose between the ANA and YOU. No contest. Who the heck even ARE you? A stinking coin photographer??? Please.

A litigation report is part of the agenda of EACH and EVERY ANA Board of Governors meeting. How do I know that? I go to them. I occasionally even dial in on the phone meetings.

Know why many coin "dealers" REALLY don't like the ANA? They actually HAVE an ethics code they enforce. THOSE proceedings are in-house and frequently confidential, not public litigation. Judges decide if a case file can be sealed, not the litigants, who can only ask.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  15. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Not just unhappy with Daniel Carr but also unhappy people still posting on thread. So his solution is to ban the discussion for other people.

16. V. Kurt Bellman

"Don't go away mad, just go away."

EAC has a future gig in totalitarianism. Ban discussions he doesn't like.

17. baseball21

Getting a thread locked to fall to the abysses of the internet is the best way to bury facts that someone doesn't like

toned_morgan likes this.
  18. V. Kurt Bellman

"Help me, Obiwan GDJMSP. You're my only hope." - "Princess" EAC, in the re-written Coin Wars IV: A New Dope.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    toned_morgan and Kasia like this.
  19. V. Kurt Bellman

Actually, you're wrong. BOTH Henning nickels AND all other counterfeits are banned by the ANA, while Dan Carr's pieces are not. HOWEVER, that is a pending issue for clarification. Clear and unambiguous labelling of counterfeits in NON-COMPETITIVE educational classes is already allowed, as in the ICTA's exhibit of NOTHING BUT modern bullion fakes in Philly last August. It WAS eligible to win People's Choice, but it did not. It was not allowed in a competitive category, as all counterfeits are not, but there is some sentiment to alter this rule.

Why are Hennings banned? Because their initial purpose was fraudulent. Again, time marches on and things change, albeit slowly. It will be discussed again. And if the relevant authorities move against Dan's pieces, so will THEIR status be reconsidered.

20. EyeAppealingCoins

I do not have a problem with legitimate dissent and a discussion of the issues on the merits even if it produces statements that I disagree with. There are individuals on the other side that are thoughtful and would produce a meaningful discussion even if I disagree with it. What I have a problem with is when individuals outright lie or distort the truth when they know better and even post things that prove my point. I also have a problem when a thread goes so far off the rails that it is no longer germane to the original topic (Carr's popularity). The ANA and Ask Jeeves are irrelevant to any of the questions presented in this thread.

I never said the ANA banned those pieces. If it does ban the pieces, then I think that is unfortunate. For purposes of educational displays, Hennings, Omegas, Carrs, and Von Nothaus's should all be allowed. Counterfeits, and especially contemporary counterfeits, can be very educational when used in a proper context and not mass produced as commodities where the pieces will subsequently fool those who inherit them or otherwise acquire them.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2016/08/1922-d-half-dollar-struck-at-private-mint.html

21. baseball21

The distortion that is occurring are the people dismissing the overwhelming evidence that these are perfectly legal and making false equivalencies

The ANA dismissing a claim against him that was made by a big numismatic name is 100 percent relevant and would hold A LOT of weight in court.

Draft saved Draft deleted