Why I wanted this Trajan sestertius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, May 6, 2015.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Many collectors want just a single coin of each emperor and, to many, it seems any coin will do. I am of the opinion that there are some reverses that should be shown favor when selecting coins for a specific Roman emperor whether you are seeking one or a fistful of coins. Trajan has many good types that seem to outrank the standard reverse of a standing figure. If you learned one thing about Trajan in first year ancient history it was that the Roman Empire reached its greatest expanse under his rule. This was accomplished when he annexed the province of Dacia and lands soon abandoned in Mesopotamia. It would seem appropriate to have a Trajan referring to his role as conqueror.
    0bb3274.jpg
    This 25.54g. sestertius shows a Dacian captive seated on a shield before a trophy of arms. His had supports his head in a position of mourning. The reverse legend is simply SPGR OPTIMO PRINCIPI SC but DAC is included in the tiny lettered obverse: IMP CAES NERVAE TRAIANO AVG GER DAC PM TRP COS V PP

I've seen nicer examples but large sestertii of Trajan with good types and lots of legend tend to sell out of my price bracket. You don't have to look hard to find a worse one of these being offered. This was one of the coins I got in trade for my unwanted duplicates mentioned in another post but I would have bought this one anyway. This would be a good place to show your Trajan sestertii.

Really nice ones cost a lot!
    http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1161340

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Very nice Trajan Doug. :)

4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

a big sweet trajan sestertius for free (sort of kind of) ...schhwwwwwwwwing!
    rugged but awesome, just the way i like 'em.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I don't know why, but I often pass on coins of Trajan. Maybe it's because I see so many for sale and I think I can always get one. But, like you say, there are so many interesting reverses on his coins. This is a nice coin.

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice one, I dont own any sesterii of him. Never plan too either since I have several silvers of him.

But it is nice to unload duplicates & unwanteds for something else you'd rather have. I do it alot.

7. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Nice coin Doug!!
    This coin is mine:happy:

maridvnvm, dlhill132, stevex6 and 5 others like this.
  8. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Doug, you are right about any coin will do for the first emperor. Just because you don't have one. After that, I definitely look for other reverse types. Here is one I just ordered as a chance good deal but definitely welcoming it into my collection.

trajan-merged.jpg

Trajan AE As.

OBV: IMP CAES NERVAE TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS V P P, Laureate head right.

REV: SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI, S C in exergue, Trajan on horseback right, spearing Dacian below horse.

REF: RIC 543, Cohen 509.

dlhill132, stevex6, Bing and 4 others like this.
  9. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

trajan.jpg

Trajan AE As. Rome, 9.9g, 27.55mm

OBV: IMP CAES NERVA TRAIAN AVG GERM PM, Laureate head right.

OBV: TR POT COS III PP SC, Victory walking left, carrying shield inscribed SPQR.

REF: RIC 417, Cohen 628. Sear 3242

This is my first Trajan coin and I liked it from the start because of some factors like the desert patina, nearly full legends, the crack in the coin and the deposits on the reverse.

dlhill132, stevex6, Bing and 3 others like this.
  10. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Trajan-quadrans.jpg

Trajan AE Quadrans. 98-117 AD, 3.5g, 17mm

OBV: IMP CAES NERVA TRAIAN AVG. Laureate head right, slight drapery on far shoulder.

REV: She-wolf crouching left, SC in ex.

REF: RIC II 694, BMCRE 1061, Cohen 340.

This is my second Trajan coin. I definitely wanted it because I liked the coin problems and all. It's a quadrans and the price was low.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  11. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I know many collectors would pass up a coin like that because of the considerable wear. But the smooth even wear of your coin is quite pleasing and it reminds us of the all the Romans who handled this coin and makes us wonder just who spent this coin and what on. Pretorian prefect for a cup of good wine? Freedman on a fresh loaf of bread? Legionary out for a good time? Offering to one's favorite divinity? Oh, if coins like this could talk.

Mikey Zee and Gil-galad like this.
  12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I love the reverse Doug...and I agree those with Dacia are far more interesting than the 'typical' other types...I keep bidding on examples with 'Trajan's Column', but invariably lose out. I just have a couple of worn bronzes...a sestertius and a Ass from my old beginners album...

I just bought a camera, so my fotos are a 'work in progress'...in fact, i was just experimenting (coincidentally) and took these in hand...being a novice with a new digital camera is more than bit frustrating, as TIF has mentioned to me numerous times.. 007.JPG 009.JPG 010.JPG

13. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice bronzes.

14. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Nice one Doug! I really like the reverse and the history behind it. I agree, there is something special about both Trajan coins, and his sestertii in particular.

Something synergistic about one of the most powerful emperors on the biggest coin of the empire.

Here's mine: A decent example, but I believe it spent some time in the ground. Hence the pitting and environmental damage.

Trajan; 98-117 AD
    AE Sestertius; 32mm/25.3g
    OBV: IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC PMTRP COS VI P Laureate Bust Draped R
    REV: SENATVS POPVLVS ROMANVS FORTRED SC in exergue; Fortuna Redux seated L holding cornucopia and rudder
    (RIC 652, Cohen 158)
    Trajan Sestertius OBV.JPG Trajan Sestertius Rev.JPG

dlhill132, zumbly, stevex6 and 4 others like this.
  15. Bing

I just double checked and I do not own a large bronze of Trajan. Something I must rectify soon.

16. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I guess you won't be passing on those Trajan coins this time? lol

Bing likes this.
  17. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

alas, only one Trajan in my collection....

A008.jpg

dlhill132, zumbly, TIF and 5 others like this.
  18. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

I don't have a sestertius of Trajan yet but I do have this as with an itty bitty Dacian on it.

[​IMG]

Trajan. A.D. 98-117. Æ as (27 mm, 10.46 g, 6 h). Rome, ca. A.D. 106/7.

IMP CAES NERVAE TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS V P P, laureate bust of Trajan right, wearing aegis

S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI, S C across field, Roma standing facing, head left, holding Victory and spear; at feet to left, Dacian kneeling in supplication right.

Cf. RIC 486 (no aegis); Woytek 252c; cf. BMC 925-6 (bust); BN 605-6.

Ex. Charles Darrah Collection (Triskeles Auction 12, Lot 253)

dlhill132, zumbly, TIF and 6 others like this.
  19. Bing

Very nice coins Ziggy and Whiz.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Great new addition, Doug ... sweet eye-appeal

Oh and yes, I totally agree that some rulers seem to have a bunch of great reverses and therefore should be represented more than once ... especially the dudes that have a whole lotta animal coins ...

=> and Trajan is one of those rulers!!

Well, I've got a TET, a DUPONDIUS and a DICHALKON ... nuthin' but net!!

trajan decius a.jpg trajan decius b.jpg Trajan Dupondius.jpg trajan rhino.jpg

... Trajan reverses rock!!

dlhill132, Mikey Zee, zumbly and 4 others like this.
  21. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Super coin[/QUOTE]

Last edited: May 6, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted