Why I collect the 12 Caesars

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Great collection, zumbly! The variety of denominations, sizes and colors makes a very interesting collection!

zumbly and benhur767 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

Great coins for all twelve, Orfew! I especially like the reverse iconography of the coins you've chosen, such as the capricorn on the Augustus coin. Thank you for sharing the knowledge you've gained since you've started collecting this set.

I've always avoided seeking out coins of the Twelve Caesars, mostly for the rarity and expense. I did recently acquire two of the emperors for this set as part of a group lot, one Vespasian and one Vitellius (I might as well have the two 'V' emperors!). The Vespasian is about as average and common as a Vespasian can get, although I think it still has some visual appeal. The Vitellius is also as common a type as Vitellius can get, and is so worn it's nearly a slug. Still, I'm enjoying having these two additions to my collection to represent the Twelve-Caesar's era (normally I collect Severan). I appreciate them more since I've read your article. It might even be fun to complete a 'low-ball' Twelve Caesar's set, to borrow a term from the NCG and PCGS set registries:

MK_2017_1001_01.jpg
    Vitellius. AR denarius, Rome mint, struck 16 April – 22 December 69 CE; 18mm, 2.30g, 6h. BMCRE 20, RIC R2, RSC II 18. Obv: A VITELLIVS GERM IMP AVG TR P; head laureate right. Rx: CONCOR–DIA P R; Concordia seated left, holding patera and cornucopia. F.

––––––––––––
    MK_2017_1001_03.jpg
    Vespasian. AR denarius, Rome mint, struck 75 CE; 18mm, 3.13g, 6h. BMCRE 161, RIC 90, RSC II 366. Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG; head laureate right. Rx: PON MAX TR P COS VI; Pax seated left, holding branch. VF.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  4. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

This is a great post for newer ancient collectors. It explains in detail the pitfalls, and benefits, of collecting the 12 Caesars, but is also applicable to so many other subsets of Roman/ancient coins.

My current plan is to buy what catches my eye. But, second to that is an attempt to collect the Five Good Emperors.

Orfew and benhur767 like this.
  5. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

I really like the visual variety of the mix when they're presented as a group. Awesome stuff.

zumbly likes this.
  6. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

Great post @Orfew and fantastic coins in this thread.

I share your love of the First Century, if I could only collect coins from a single century I would choose the First without hesitation. The combination of the Suetonius, Tacitus, The New Testament, the writings of Josephus and others bring that era to life and cause it to resonate with me in a way that no other historic period does. Having the ability to hold objects from that time in my hand, the same objects that were used by people alive then, has enriched my appreciation for history in a way nothing else could.

benhur767, Deacon Ray and Mikey Zee like this.
  7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

My Seutonius 12 are hard-scrabble. However, since Vindex started the Civil Wars to bring down the House of Julio-Claudians, I feel he should be added. I said this before, but I like this guy as he was a Gaul, named Julius Caesar Vindex, who started the Civil Wars to END the Julio-Claudian Dynasty:

Seutonius 12 Caesars plus Vindex - Denarii Quinarii Asses Tet.JPG

Chuck47, zumbly, Johndakerftw and 9 others like this.
  8. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

If the Civil Wars are windows to the first century, then a little Vindex wouldn't hurt.

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, well done. Even the Latin pronunciation fits! He started the clean up of the Nero grunge...

upload_2018-1-4_11-18-57.png
    RI Civil War Revolt of Vindex CE 68-69 AR Denarius ROMA RESTITVTA - IVPITER LIBERATOR Jupiter seated r Tbolt Scepter 17mm 3.02g RIC I 62 RSC 374-RARE

10. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Great collection, @Orfew ! Great article! An article like yours could get me all fired up to expand my ancient coin collecting goals and parameters. ;)

Orfew, benhur767 and Alegandron like this.
  11. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

One of the more notable features about Orfew's 12 Caesars denarii collection is the distinctiveness of the reverses. In particular, the Tiberius reverse is both attractive and different from the common PAX seated type -- I wish I could say the same for my Tiberius examples!

Also worth mentioning is the very cool Ephesus Vespasian, with AVG inside the laurel wreath. This eye-catching reverse is among the most attractive Vespasians you'll see in any collection.

Finally I'd call attention to the Nero denarius with the Eagle-between-two-standards reverse. This type fairly rare and this particular coin is very visually pleasing; it's nice to see the eagle-and-standards depiction on coins other than the Legionary denarii of Marc Antony.

12. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks @IdesOfMarch01 Your kind words are appreciated. I deliberately tried to find interesting reverses for these coins. I did not completely succeed. There are still some that need to be replaced with coins with more interesting reverses.

Mikey Zee and benhur767 like this.
  13. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

A fabulous set for sure @Orfew. As others, even though I've a complete set, it's a mix of different denomination, having been unable to put together a "all silver set"

[​IMG]

Q

Nemo, akeady, Jay GT4 and 12 others like this.
  14. Dafydd

Dafydd Supporter! Supporter

What an excellent thread @Orfew thank you. Great coins from you and everyone and also very good comments. I thought I had completed my 12 Caesars last week but my Otho proved to be less than perfect......

benhur767 likes this.
  15. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I hope you find a replacement soon.

benhur767 likes this.
  16. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice history write-up and a lot of great coins there. Thanks for sharing!

Orfew and benhur767 like this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Let there be no mistake about it, if I were filthy rich, I would have a specialty collection of Galba but as a pensioner lucky to have the two Galba's I do have, I am much better off collecting Septimius Severus. I have half a dozen ridiculously rare Severans that combined would not buy you a Galba in decent condition showing someone boring standing there. I might say the same thing about Pescennius Niger. Both were a great deal more significant than some other rare persons who are mere footnotes in history.

I really would like to know the total decline in cash value of all 12 Caesars coins in existence if the only copy of Suetonius had been lost to time as were so many other histories. I suspect it would be hundreds of millions.

benhur767 likes this.
  18. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

I'm late to the party but here's my 12+1. I've added Mark Antony into the mix since he was a direct descendant of all the Julio-Claudians and I like Antony better than Octavian! :). Difficult to pick which coins to use in the virtual tray but I think this is a good mix of denominations and metals from across the Empire...

Antony and the Caesars.jpg

benhur767, Cucumbor, Nemo and 6 others like this.
  19. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Some very nice coins @Jay GT4. I particularly like the Domitian.

While I can appreciate why you added Mark Anthony, he was never a ruler in Rome. Notice I choose to use the term "ruler" since Julius was never an Emperor either. I had a lengthy discussion a few years back with a Croat army major. He refused to included Julius Caesar as one of the 12 and instead included Nerva. I tried to convince him it was because of Suetonius' book that the twelve started with Julius, but it was like talking to a wall.

Alegandron likes this.
  20. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

@Bing True but he was consul and the senior member of the triumvirate. He was also cooler than Octavian and most important it's my list! :dead: haha.

21. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

You are absolutely correct. I was just expounding as is my wont.

Draft saved Draft deleted