Why don't albums include reverse proofs?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MrDSmith, Jun 15, 2023.

1. MrDSmith

MrDSmith Senior Member

I have yet to see an album that has slots for mint state, proof, and reverse proof coins, such as with Silver eagles or the innovation series. Why do you think that is? Why not include ALL variations of coins in a series?

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Many albums do not include special issues.
    The many 2014 Kennedy halves, the March of Dimes dimes, the W Lincoln cents, the 2017 enhanced unc, etc.
    Dansco can't keep up I guess.

4. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

With the mint randomly producing various collector items, it's impossible for the album makers to keep up. They can't predict the future except for regular circulation coins. Even then, the mint throws them a change up every once in a while and they have to issue an update page for albums they've already sold.

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I have found that albums are a poor choice for proofs. The cardboard dust create spots and the slides can hairline the coins.

Jeffjay, Mr.Q, -jeffB and 2 others like this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Why would anyone want to put those special coins in an album? o_O

JMO

Mr.Q and Inspector43 like this.
  7. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

What I wanted to say was: "Listen to the dog. He's right"

But I tried Grammerly's Generative AI beta which suggested:

"I was hesitant at first, but after listening to my dog's persistent barking, I realized he was right. There was someone lurking outside our house. Thanks to my furry friend, we were able to stay safe and secure."

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

So that they can be displayed the same as the rest of the coins in the series? Not to imply that a coin collector would have OCD tendencies like that. ;)

It's still a bad idea, though, IMHO. As @ldhair said, an album isn't a great place for a proof, or any high-grade uncirculated coin.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I would never put our valued coins in albums, not a good idea in my opinion.

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Same thing with red copper in albums. They start turning brown and start growing spots.

11. Burton Strauss III

That depends equally on the album and your environment.

Reputable albums are made from archival materials. The coin is still exposed to the environment.

No slab is gas tight.

Copper and silver can demonstrate environmental effects in either storage.

12. Lon Chaney

I guess I'll play the devil's advocate - albums can produce some very attractive toning on some coins. And provide a great way to display and look at a collection. More enjoyable than a box of 2x2s in my opinion.

13. Burton Strauss III

Older albums were not made of 100% archival materials.

100x the number of coins (1000x) were damaged by Whitman blue folders for each one that has pretty toning.

14. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I really wouldn't want to put all of these in an album.
    IMG_5909.JPG

15. Lon Chaney

Understood, but I'm referring to Danscos, as that's all I have had experience with. I do have an Intercept Shield album for my US Type Set ("7070" but that's Dansco's number) - and I have not noticed any change, good or bad, to any of the coins.

16. Burton Strauss III

Yes, Dansco, the higher end Whitman, Littleton (which are OEMed from Dansco/Whitman) should be archival.

And most people don't routinely crack rotten eggs next to their coin albums...

Just be careful, the Intercept Shield only has a 10 year guarantee/lifespan. It -might- last longer depending on the environment, but it might not.

17. Lon Chaney

I didn't know that, thank you.

18. Lon Chaney

19. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I don't like Proof coins in Danco or any other album. All that offers is a good chance that they will be ruined.

I bought an album for my great nephew, who might become a collector. It's one of those "push them with your finger" albums. I can't believe they included holes for Proof coins in it, especially cents.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
    ldhair, Inspector43 and -jeffB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted