Why doesn't CAC make its own grading service

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by hotwheelsearl, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Haha... But I wouldn't outsource. I'm a patriotic capitalist! ;)

Wait, what's the daily wage rate for Somolian workers and what are the import / export duties? Lets crunch some numbers :p

JK of coarse. Now, let's not let this go any further or a mod might decloak and construe this as political enuendo to nuke it :(

RonSanderson likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Quite a few - out of how many thousands of coins posted on this site? :) Gotta have a little fun with this - It doesn't count unless you hit the like button. :)

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

6. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

Because no matter how qualified the grading service, or how high the grade, you can still squeeze yet another fee out of someone

*wolf7* likes this.
  7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I cannot speak for PCGS but I have talked with some of the NGC production crew and graders and saw the slabbing room in NJ on a tour: Up in NJ, when the production hit new records, the "gang" got to go to a very popular steak house! If I remember, they had at least three sealing machines running and long tables of production workers (looked like one of those turn of the century garment factories...LOL) when I saw the place decades ago...BUT, Ill bet they are running over 8-9 K coins a day through now in FL.

The grading room also posts production numbers w/"days ahead or behind" for all tiers. If coins are not going out on time at PCGS, I'll bet it is because they don't wish to speed up the turnaround on purpose. QC takes time too.

Look, IMO the faster a TPGS gets the coins back to the customer the sooner more new coins should come in for grading. Bet you wish I were running PCGS...LOL. Those suckers would be working 15 hrs a day to meet my demands.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

For most of the summer they haven't even be within spitting distance of their usual times. Check out the slow turnaround times thread on the CU form, some poor souls have economy submissions that are on business day 50 something still sitting there. I think at one point on their website even express was up to like 13 days and econ has been up to like 50 for US coins with world coins being even slower.

I'm sure the increase of world coins has created more work, but it seems to me like the problem is more logistics (whether not enough slabs, to many trueviews to do, not enough slabbing machines ect) I don't know but when times are doubling or more seems like there is more to it than the grading aspect.

Agreed about the turnaround times. NGC definitely got some submissions they wouldn't have otherwise from a lot of people who didn't want to wait around 4 months to get their coins back

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The long turn-around time you're talking about is nothing unusual. People have been complaining about it on the coin forums for the last 18 years that I know of. Even David Hall has written about how in the beginning, the standard wait was 6 months.

But yeah, every now and then they get the wait down to a month or so, but it doesn't last long. Soon enough it starts climbing again. Always been that way, I imagine it always will.

10. Earle42

Earle42 Member

No offense meant by the following - this is just relating what was said at the time:

When slabbing started out, local collectors (to me) knew it was simply a money making sham - but felt people might fall for it. The businessmen created a market and people...well...fell for it.

We joked that after awhile people would be dumb enough to pay for someone to grade the slabbers. The businessmen created a market and people...well...fell for it.

More business opportunities:
    1. Start a business to certify the condition of the plastic slab itself. Invent the PSGS (Professional Slab Grading Service.
    2. Starts marketing different kinds of labels on slabs (oops - too late).
    3. Start a business with the alreadyhad-the-tech-in-the-90-s tech for a computer analysis/grading (my opinion is they out this off for a few decades until slabbing slowed - then they get to re-certify everything). They will then "improve" the software to make it more accurate after another couple decades.
    4. Make a CACC (CAC Check) check sticker (oops - too late).
    5. etc. etc.

Don't scoff too much. We did.

And... as far as I am concerned. If a person has the excess cash, likes to spend it on things like different colored labels, etc. Then all the more power to them. When you start letting people tell you what to collect - its not longer fun. If its no longer fun, then its not a hobby.

1977-D $1 Obv Slab MS65+CACOPT213.jpg

Paul M., longshot and Cascade like this.
  11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I've read some of the early stories of sending in coins and forgetting you even owned them by the time they came back. I'm glad those days are behind us, though this year the turn around times seem to be significantly slower than years past. Economy has always been hit or miss but I can't remember a period recently of it being several months and regular at least used to be fairly good about being 6 weeks or less.

From all the threads on various forums this does unfortunately seem like this may be what we need to expect from now on.

Draft saved Draft deleted