Why doesn't CAC make its own grading service

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by hotwheelsearl, Aug 18, 2016.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

So it seems to me like CAC basically says that they are better graders than PCGS and NGC, since they "verify" the grade that the TPGs give.

So they claim to have a better grasp on accurate coin grading than anybody else.

If they're so good, why don't they just make their own TPG, advertise as "the most accurate grading on the planet", and push out PCGS and NGC? They could obtain a new monopoly over grading.

*wolf7* likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Cause the founder of CAC is also a founding member of both PCGS and NGC. Why compete against two companies he helped start?

Insider, ldhair and paddyman98 like this.
  4. Evan8

John Albanese is the founder. He may have non competes or something as well

5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

As well as the above mentioned posts CAC has a highly lucrative business model that works. Why fix what ain't broke ;)

calcol, Insider, ldhair and 3 others like this.
  6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

And CAC's "second opinions" provide a different service to collectors than the TPGs. As far as monopolies go, America doesn't like them historically and won't blindly support them.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Because stickers are cheaper!

Chris

harrync, *wolf7*, EldoEsq and 3 others like this.
  8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yeah, cuz you can never finish the stupid game :p

9. Evan8

Throwing the board across the room doesn't count as finishing it?

10. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Because putting a sticker on a holder is much cheaper than stocking plastic holders and buying machines to seal them and continuously redesigning your product, they don't take on a financial responsibility in a guarantee like the TPG's, turnaround is quicker, demand is already present in their product and they would have to start from ground zero obtaining a reputation. Not to mention the sticker is an accessory that many people want to add to their favorite plastic, that is not given to every coin. There are others, but those are the big ones that would discourage me from wanting change.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Like Chris mentioned above, beans (stickers) are cheap as opposed to startups.

12. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

They have enough to do already.

ldhair likes this.
  13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

As mentioned they really already did twice. Jtlee listed a lot of good reasons for their current model as well and I will add one more which in my opinion may be the biggest reason. Simply put they can make more money buying and selling their coins then the TPGs do grading coins when you subtract their operating costs, at the very least they make more for the amount of work they do.

Now some people will jump in and say how all they care about is money and not the coins ect, but businesses are around to make money if they don't they don't last long. It should also be noted that JA is or was a part of at least one nonprofit that helped people recover money from scams and things of that nature and really givin he was a part of the founding of the two biggest most successful TPGs I doubt he has to work another day in his life unless he wants too. I won't ever blame someone for seeing an opportunity in a market and trying to create a new business. Clearly there were aspects of where grading had gone that he didn't like and started a new company to address it

hotwheelsearl and Cascade like this.
  14. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

Why would he found 2 companies that compete against each other?

15. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

it will mess up Laura Sperber's profit margin. These folks are not dumb, that's for sure.

16. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Because one is a monopoly, and the Feds don't like monopolies. There is no moss growing on John Albanese.

harrync and ldhair like this.
  17. Evan8

Prolly so he could start cac and critique coins from both companies and make a fortune by just putting stickers on the slabs that came from companies he helped start. That was prolly his plan all along...

Isn't it obvious??? He's an evil genius

robec likes this.
  18. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Personnaly, I would not pay extra for the CAC sticker. It is name to have but I try to follow the rules on how a coin should be graded.

*wolf7* likes this.
  19. cpm9ball

Why is it so hard to type "probably"?

Chris:)

*wolf7* and Evan8 like this.
  20. cpm9ball

You and @jtlee321 forgot the most important reason of all.

You don't have to lick stickers any more.

Chris

Stevearino and baseball21 like this.
  21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Lol, what a resume builder that would be "CAC Sticker Licker"

rooman9 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted