Why does NYC not have any regular coin shows or coin clubs?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cplradar, Sep 18, 2021.

1. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Why is it that NYC has no active coin clubs or coin shows. It is a HUGE city in the middle of a Metropolitan Area that is the largest in North America. That is not saying anything new. It is bizarre that we how no shows or clubs, and fewer retailers.

Maybe it is worth organizing something?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

paddyman98 and philologus_1 like this.
  4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Renting out space in NYC is a killer. Too expensive. Kripes, the price of a piece of pizza is through the roof. Besides..........you'd probably have to 'show your papers' in order to get into any show.

tibor, AdamL and masterswimmer like this.
  6. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

that is not useful if one understands fundeemental geography and can read a NYC Subway map. Like what station do I get off to get to Rochester on the A train.

tibor likes this.
  7. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Your opening statement stated there are no coin clubs or shows in NYC. The replies showed a preponderance of both. So not only do we have to Google for you, now we have to be your travel guide.
    Every post you make seems to have some kind of agenda to it. I am done reading your stuff

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm sure he will work in that everyone in the hobby is a crook buying and selling stolen goods. Just ruben playing games here.

9. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

expat likes this.
  10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I'm waiting for the OP to work in a legal citation. :hilarious: :banghead:

tibor, expat, Maxfli and 1 other person like this.
  11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Holding coin shows in cities like Philadelphia and New York is impossible. For example, if you are a dealer, if a light bulb burned out at your table, you had to hire an electrician to screw in the new one. No lie; this is true.

tibor, expat and cplradar like this.
  12. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Don't forget, he'll also make sure to work in how the police don't do their job.

tibor, expat and johnmilton like this.
  13. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

You forgot to mention that those electricians are REQUIRED to be Union. Even if your bulbs work you're not allowed to plug in your own extension cord either.

tibor and expat like this.
  14. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

that shows nothing in NYC

15. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

The union at the Javitz Center makes that so. Coin clubs don't need the Javitz Center and shouldn't use the Javitz center. Phili has a big coin show. I don't know if they have clubs.

16. Burton Strauss III

NYINC is at the Grand Hyatt (42nd st). Are they any better?

17. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Having a regular coin club meeting every month with tables might be nice

18. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

You really want an answer for that?

19. Burton Strauss III

It's simply economically impossible.

You need either a company that's willing to let you use their training room after hours and that means you need a high ranking member of the company as a member of your club... With increased security needs that's all but impossible.

And renting a semi-public room for 30 people will cost you $500 an hour in Midtown.

I don't know of a single club that can put $12,000 a year toward just room rental. If you have 50 members and only 30 show up that's still $240 a year in dues just for room rental.

I think one of the local clubs pays 200 bucks a month to the botanic garden, and the other ones all make equivalent donations to the churches.

And that still means that room rental is the largest cost we have as a club...

20. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

We have churches, and hotel exhibit spaces for larger shows, universities, schools, and it doesn't need to be in Midtown. We have, and this is a great local, BARS that are largely empty at night all around Wall Street that have rooms they use for football mock drafts and such. What we seem to be missing is a desire to get organized. You don't think we can find space in Coney Island? We have diversee space that can handle space large and small. It seems to be a cultural thing in New York.

21. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

we can use space at Kings Plaza for community affairs.

Draft saved Draft deleted