Why do you post?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by WpnsExpert78, Aug 26, 2012.

1. WpnsExpert78

WpnsExpert78 New Member

The obivious reason for the new people is easy, trying to find value or such. But for collectors that have been into it for awhile I would like to know you post.

I post here when I can and the main reason I post is to share what I found. Sometimes I post for opinions on grades and values only for curiosity. Any coin I find value in is sent away to be slabbed. Now some of my post are inquisitive only for my purpose of feeling a true value and not what a book or internet says because let's be honest neither of them are true half the time. I have been a pretty private collector of things in the past and still am for the most part. I have always bought and sold bullion, collected coins as a kids but then moved on but I have been back for awhile now and I am loving it because I am doing it with my kids.

:stormy:NOW HERE COMES THE STORM:stormy:
    I have various ways of getting my coins and I have always been really good at snooping things out and I think I have been able to find some pretty awesome coins and yet it disappoints me to hear so many skeptical comments and emails and though it does not bother me it does bother my 3 girls that I am trying to get into this hobby and that straight out makes me well for better terms "mad". I mean I know we all need to be subjective but remember people are here for the main reason of getting help, to have fun and just to enjoy and share a hobby and to me thats what it is a "hobby". I don't make a living from it and if I get a good deal I try to pass it on. I have traded, sold and bought coins from many people on here and other sites and I would hope all of them would say I am fair. Almost every coin I post I would sale or trade. When asked I almost always ask "what would you give me for it?" and I may turn it down or counter offer but hey that is fine. I would rather trade then have cash and to some you may ask why but it boils down to a couple of things. One I don't need the cash (I mean cash is king but I don't NEED it) and the biggest is I LIKE FOR MY KIDS TO SEE AS MANY DIFFERENT COINS AS POSSIBLE.

And yes it was because of some negative comments or emails that may or may not have came from this site but never the less negative and my daughters read them and one told me this morning that she didn't see the purpose because everyone is saying bad things of the coins we find. Being a Marine I don't give up, back down from a fight, I always stand behind my word and follow through with things. If I am wrong I admit and If you prove me wrong good I just learned something new today but that is ME and hopefully one day my girls will get there but for now they are just kids with a heart. So to the 2 or 3 people that are at the heart of this "RANT" you got to my girls and by that you got to me but it's ok.But just know today while you are being miserable posting or emailing people all your misery know that I will be out with my girls enjoying our day finding more of the great coins that we do (the same ones you "few" are jealous because you can't afford them) and I think I may even make some persons day by letting my daughters give one or two away just to show my girls that every coin no matter the value, condition and whatever will always make people happy.

Sorry for rant but I don't "do" the whole hurting my daughter's feelings well at all. To the rest of the GREAT UNDERSTANDING COIN COMMUNITY THANKS FOR ALL THE POSITIVE THINGS AND WE ENJOY POSTING FOR YOU and look forward to the next coin.:D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

It appears there are several sections to your post and I have no idea what went on to bring about some of the sections. However, to answer the question in the title (why do I post) the reason is that I like so share my knowledge and, if folks are willing to learn, they can learn a significant amount from me.

4. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

When I was new on eBAY I sold Sacagawea Dollars on eBay for 99c with shipping and handling cost of .99 the buyer Left me a NEGATIVE FEEDBACK that I am selling FAKE SACAGAWEA DOLLAR and File a case against me. Asking for a REFUND. I escalate that case and he never get any refund. But for NEGATIVE FEEDBACK stay ONE YEAR before it was dissappear. How sad it is when a Buyer is so crazy to leave that kind of FEEDBACK. Now He is NO LONGER a member of the community of eBAY. In this world there is a lot of Jealousy, No matter what you do. The reason I post is to share my Knowledge FAIRLY and also to learn to some people who is more knowleageable than me.
    On 1999 when I join in errorworld I think the very first internet coin chat room I was being the subject of criticsm that my eleven cent95 is FAKE then one of the member suggested it to certified it in Baltimore Coin Show.MD. After certification member keep asking to start the bidding of my AVATAR for 500$ I said is Not For sale But I put it on my own websites. Year 2000, I put that coin on my websites the value that I asking is 2.5 Million$ during that time JAY P is also selling his 1933 20 gold coin double eagle for 1.5 Million and he was caught by the secret service. My websites stay for pennyondime dot com. So many members hate me for selling my Avatar for 2.5 Million. Mr. Hager got a lot of call regarding my coin if he really certified it. And the answer is YES.
    errorcoin forum member some of them has been sue for defamation by Accugrade. then later errorworld dissapear in yahoo. Then transfer to MSN the founder is JIM LAz'arus. I really love that chat room. Anyway that is only part of my experiences in a coin chat for almost 13 years till now.
    Have a Beautiful Sunday to all.

5. tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90 Dieu et les Dames

Firstly, I'll say I that I post for the since of community. I don't have anyone who I can share my love of coins with. So this is a way to enjoy it with others.

As far as the rest of your post I can I agree. While I've had many people who are very friendly and helpful, I feel there is an unfair amount of "chip on the shoulder" about the YNs (even though I've collected for many years since 14, I'm 24 so include myself in that category.) instead of someone saying "that coin is corroded, see the junk in the corner, that makes it a coin you should stay away from." I get "oh, stay way from that, it's corroded as ****, I get this a lot from newbs, learn to do your research." Now I know one needs to do his research like everyone else but it someone is wanting to learn there is just a right and wrong way to teach. This goes with anything, there is a right and wrong way to discipline. Again there are bad apples everywhere but I feel that the community is unevenly "rotten". We all want to learn and it's supposed to be fun, a hobby, and a community. Most of us are collectors, not dealers. Overall one does better with honey than vinegar.

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

OK CTer's, we've upset the OP's 3 daughters! Let's get with the program, folks.
    From now on, only pictures of kittens and comments like "aww, how sweet".

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Loneliness........:devil:

And don't let those guys get under your skin Marine. Take it with a grain. I don't know what you're referring to in regard to bad types and foul e-mails but most of the folks here are genuine and only wish to share their knowledge and experience.

8. tdogchristy90

"Loneliness......."

Lol. Amen green.

9. roll searcher

roll searcher coin hunter

mean cat.jpg

10. tdogchristy90

11. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

12. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

I post for the knoledge. What I can give, and recieve. (of course, the knowledge I can give is far more limmited than what I can recieve, but if I stay here long enough...)

13. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

I post so green doesn't feel like he is the oldest person in this place.

14. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I hope that you can understand that comments made here (for the most part) are about the coin and not the owner. I understand that some, including myself, can come off as cold and overly critical in our evaluation of a coin. But this site is for people to learn. Why should we sugar coat a coin to make the owner feel happy about it if the cost is that others will get the wrong message. Sometimes it is necessary to say that a coin has been cleaned, polished, doctored, a fake or is a lesser grade than the coins owner thought. It is solely to help, it is not intended to belittle the owner. Hopefully our comments help the community as a whole better understand coin collecting, after all, that is what this site is all about.

Thank you for your service, this country would not be the same without you.

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Wait, what?

This site is the most "family-friendly" one that I frequent. It's particularly gentle with posters who self-identify as young numismatists (YNs). With those who don't, it can be a bit more terse and skeptical -- but it's still sunshine and lollipops compared to most other discussion forums.

That said, this site would be worthless if the only comments it allowed were positive ones. When you show a coin to someone who's more knowledgeable than you, and they see that that coin has problems, what would you rather have them do: point out the problems, so that you can learn to recognize them yourself, or praise the coin and leave you with a false impression of its quality?

I agree that it's a bit depressing and monotonous when coin postings are met with a chorus of "harshly cleaned", "probably fake", and so forth. But when harshly cleaned (and, for some issues, fake) coins greatly outnumber good specimens in the real world, it's sort of inevitable that a group of knowledgeable collectors will frequently call them as they see them.

I'd hate to see your daughters get discouraged from collecting because of negative comments here or anywhere else. You're certainly doing the right thing by involving them; heck, I wish my parents had brought home gold coins, even if they were polished or removed from jewelry.

But maybe you need to rethink this notion of letting your daughters read over your shoulder as you check online discussions about your coins. I don't know how old or how sheltered they are, but it sounds like they're less prepared to deal with negative comments than you are. I frequent a lot of sites that provide excellent information and though-provoking commentary, but with tone and language that I'm not comfortable exposing kids to.

If you look at some of the posts here from kids (YNs), or from parents who are specifically in this to help out their kids, I think you'll find a much gentler and more positive tone in general. If you add a note in your posts that "you and your daughters" are looking for comments, you may start to see a difference.

Oh, yeah, the title question -- why do I post?

1) I have questions, and there are folks here who know a lot more than I do.
    2) Sometimes I know enough to answer questions myself.
    3) It seems to work out better, in a variety of ways and for a variety of reasons, than face-to-face interaction.

16. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Nice rant, the quoted section above was especially good. The thunderclouds are awesome.

I post on coin forums to share my collection and knowledge with others and to engage in serious debate about different numismatic topics. I find that a good debate with someone with an alternative viewpoint keeps my mind sharp.

17. WpnsExpert78

WpnsExpert78 New Member

You're free to post whatever and trust me nothing bothers me! Just reminding some that kids are here, kids are included in some of their parents hobbies and there is a correct and constructive way to educate people. Me and my kids enjoy posting coins and talking to people about them but there are some that just don't care.

So post your kittens. LOL. Turn young people of to a great hobby makes me no difference.

liger-431x300.jpg

18. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Welcome To The "Real World"!

It's believed that I speak for the majority of members when I say that the general community here wouldn't want anyone to be offended by posts on this site, but believe that on occasions insensitivity results in offense. I personally apologize for any perceived unjust offense received.

I personally believe that the average participant on this site, as I, share your ideals of learning through interaction. I believe that the general population is of above average for their consideration and communicative abilities. Regardless, this site, as the majority of our national communities, has our share of incorrigibles. Those who seemingly haven't the average ability to communicate other than what might be considered thoughtless. Submitting that which they might consider "cute", to illicit recognition from other like-minded.

You, as I and other past/present service members, have come to generally accept the injustices of others. Often they are in our ranks, and normally are ignored, in the name of peace. Other cultures hopefully have taught us the necessity to generally peacefully co-exist.

I hope that you can accept, and explain to your daughters, that the majority desire peace and additional understanding of the unknown. This lesson of tolerance can be personally rewarding in the future, but has been expensive for some as Mahatma Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandella, etc..

I personally interact on this site for the exchange of knowledge.

I hope that you/yours will receive any future communication, as an occasionally found new piece of "treasure", possibly tarnished, but of some value. :thumb:

19. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Yo Marine,

First of all, thank you for your service.
    Now, If you are going to be posting to Internet Forums, I would have to say "get a thicker skin". I have no idea what brought on this rant, but just decide if the folks that set you off were just trying to be helpful or were truly being Buttheads.

On the Internet under the protection of anonymity people say all kinds of stuff they would not say to your face. It comes with the territory, suck it up and move on.
    Mike

20. tdogchristy90

That goes along with what I said. We are all here to learn but like I said in my post, I feel too many give advice the wrong way. It's one thing to teach someone and say "it's been cleaned, or it's wrong, here's why...." it's something different to say "newbs, the coin looks awful, read the red book *rolls eyes*". it's perfectly fine not to sugar coat, how else will one learn, constructive criticism is always wise. But there's a right and wrong way to talk, or in this instance, type.

21. WpnsExpert78

WpnsExpert78 New Member

I agree with you. Someone asked me in an email the same question and ranted about people should not post fakes, blah blah blah. Then went on to ask who can come up with that many coins in one or two stops. So I posted my reply publicly for everyone to see along with a really really long email and invitation.

Draft saved Draft deleted